85 C10 Fan help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I''m not disputing the fact that you could have a sender (or gauge) that is inaccurate but you will not get the proper reading from the metal like the method you are using.
It's sitting in a pan of water . If the pot is resting on metal of the truck it should simulate being installed in the engine , right?

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I''m not disputing the fact that you could have a sender (or gauge) that is inaccurate but you will not get the proper reading from the metal like the method you are using.

How come it wouldn’t work? The gauge is grounded to the frame via alligator clips.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The sensor (middle part) cannot touch the pan or your readings will not be correct. You would be reading the temp of the metal and not the fluid.

87_stepper

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
ZZ430
Those sensors are all resistance based probably a wax pellet type and are spanned to be accurate within a certain range having a bad ground will move that reading, example good ground 0-100 bad ground 30-130 move your alligator clips to the battery ground and try again.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The sensor (middle part) cannot touch the pan or your readings will not be correct. You would be reading the temp of the metal and not the fluid.

The sensor is not touching the pan. It is suspended by the channel locks to be about 2 inches about the pan. Good looking out tho! I’m sure there is still something I could be doing better

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Oops! My bad. I was reading and didn't go back to post #13 and 6.

Another thing is that I believe that there is a shunt resistor across the temp gauge terminals. @chengny can confirm this.
If that opened it may cause your readings to be higher than what they really are.

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
Kinda sucks because you have to drain some coolant. Run to autozone and grab a mechanical coolant gauge. About $20. Take the electrical sender out and replace it with the mechanical. I think I also needed an adaptor to space the sensor out a bit. It hit the block when i threaded it inside.This way you'll be able to verify the coolant temp inexpensively. Just be careful with the line connecting the sensing bulb and the gauge. You don't want to break that line or twist it. It has to remain sealed. I run a mechanical gauge permamently. You can switch back to electrical when you verify the cooling system is ok.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512