85 C10 Fan help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello all!

I have an 85 K10 crate 350 engine that’s running hot. The truck is running around 220 at both idle and highway speeds. Thermostat is new, fluid is full and has a stock radiator. There are 2 issues I see.

1. It has a 3 inch body lift raising the radiator and shroud above the level of the fan.

2. It has a flex fan and no clutch.

Can anyone point me in a direction of a good clutch/fan setup? I see 5 blade fans withy the oddly spaced blades or could I go with an evenly spaced 6 blade? Any 2¢ about the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I have always ran electric fans. Never had an issue. If that is an option for you.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If you're gonna stay stock, a 7 blade fan with a Hayden Thermostatic clutch. If you want to go electric, there are some GREAT threads here on fan choices, set up (with shrouds) and wiring.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Hello all!

I have an 85 K10 crate 350 engine that’s running hot. The truck is running around 220 at both idle and highway speeds. Thermostat is new, fluid is full and has a stock radiator. There are 2 issues I see.

1. It has a 3 inch body lift raising the radiator and shroud above the level of the fan.

2. It has a flex fan and no clutch.

Can anyone point me in a direction of a good clutch/fan setup? I see 5 blade fans withy the oddly spaced blades or could I go with an evenly spaced 6 blade? Any 2¢ about the subject would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Maintaining proper clearances between the fan blades and the shroud is critical to the efficiency of the cooling system. That includes how far the fan blades are set into the shroud.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
While it’s hard to beat the airflow of a mechanical fan, I would suggest electric fans for you. If the body lift prevents the fan from drawing air directly thru the radiator core, the best fan and clutch will be a compromise at best in this situation.

don’t get cheap on fans!! Try to adapt a late model factory fan from a big well optioned car. The cheap parts store fans have seriously inflated airflow ratings. Make sure you use quality wiring and relays.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well, I think I found an issue here. I tested my temp gauge for accuracy just to be sure it wasn’t just the gauge being off before I put money into an electrical fan and new radiator. Has anyone else had issues with an inaccurate gauge? Could something else be making the gauge inaccurate? Thank you all.

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I seem to recall reading somewhere that certain sending units need to go with specific gauges. Get another sending unit, just for comparison. Do all square body temp gauges read up to 260?

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I’ve been doing some research and have ran across that too. Looks like they all run up to 260. I’ve tried 2 different sending units. It would really help if someone out there knew what sending unit they had in their truck! :) thanks

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was koi’s fixing to ask of you had verified the temps with a laser thermometer

And ask if it was over heating while sitting still or if it happens while driving at highway speed

Overheating while sitting still is an airflow issue
Fan or shroud or the air is leaking past the rad instead of going thru it

Overheating at highway speed is a water flow problem
Stat not opening , water pump not moving enough water

Lower hose collapsing etc

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I think I used to have a spacer for my fan in my 75 GMC back in high school that pushed my fan deeper in the shroud and closer to the radiator. I don't know if they still make those or not.

thompson335

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
if you are maintaining the same temp at idle and speed it is not fans or shroud. It is more likely something that is not affected by air flow more like gauge thermostat, blockage, ect

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys. I posted some pics ^^ up top and found out my gauge is inaccurate for some reason. Still not sure if it’s a bad gauge or if I have the wrong sending unit..Possible bad ground? I have. I have no idea..

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Thanks guys. I posted some pics ^^ up top and found out my gauge is inaccurate for some reason. Still not sure if it’s a bad gauge or if I have the wrong sending unit..Possible bad ground? I have. I have no idea..

The gauge and sender have to be compatible. The OEM 1513321 "nail head" style senders are getting wicked hard to find. The after market replacements don't have the same resistance curves as the original senders.

Read these threads - a couple of very knowledgeable guys cleared things up :

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/new-temperature-gauge-reading-low.22367/

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=661104

BTW - what's up with the installed sender in the image you posted? Is that the one that originally came in the truck?

Last edited:

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Awesome! Looks like I’ll try to get ahold of one. No, I bought another sending unit for 8$ to see if maybe it was bad. Both are same part numbers. Figured it’d be easier to test one already out of the block instead of getting coolant everywhere.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I''m not disputing the fact that you could have a sender (or gauge) that is inaccurate but you will not get the proper reading from the metal like the method you are using.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell