84 4x4 engine swap advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Reaction score
First Name
elmer
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
New to this site and I have already read so much I'm not smart enough to understand it all ! We are looking for advice on a project for my just turned 14yr old . 3 years ago he ask if he could have a 80's style truck to drive to high school . When I ask why that , he said " They look better " ! I have several smb parts so I said we could try it . A couple of months ago we bought a 84 1/2t 4x4 with 141k . We have body work to do of course . Our plan is to put it on a 3/4 ton frame we already have ready to use .
Instead of building an engine we have talked about putting an Ls engine in it . He would really like to put a cummins in ( there are a couple of those running around here ) but that would be out of our budget . At times this truck may be used to pull a trailer so we have a few questions we need advice on .
Do we skip the 700r4 /208 in the truck and try to come up with Ls engine and drive train ? Skip the 460 and try get the sturdier transmission ? One of the guys that did a cummins swap had said something about putting the newer front axle under it because the hub bearings are more reliable . Because we are using the 3/4 frame is this even a concern ?
I am starting to think we should try to find wreck / roll over complete . Please don't misunderstand , money is an object here and he will be contributing some of his money as we go . I got nothing handed to me , nor will he . Some of his money and some skinned knuckles will help in pride and appreciation .
We are trying to start with a plan so we can make the best use of the money . Thank you for your advice !!

rigid

Reaction score
First Name
elmer
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
add on

I also have 350&400 turbos we could use if these would be good options .

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The TH400 is a solid transmission. I would prefer to stay away from the 700R4/4L60/e transmissions if you are planning on towing lots. The 4L80e is a TH400 with OD. I believe all the 1500 LS trucks came with 4L60e transmissions. I think ?

Another factor that should be considered when planning on which transmission to use is what gear ratio you have in your axles ? If you have steeper gears then the 700R4/4L60/e becomes more viable.

I personally would try to find a 5.3/6.0 LS already mated to a 4L80e and then put a NP241 passenger side drop transfer case behind that. The e lectronic transmissions require an electronic controller to operate but so does the LS so make sure you are grabbing the complete wiring harness and ECMs when you do get your hands on a LS driveline.

You can have the ECM flashed and the wiring harness modified for your exact setup. It costs a few $ but cheaper then running aftermarket controllers.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The guy that told you the newer unit-style front bearings are better, he needs smacked in the face. They have no advantage other than speeding up manufacturing time when they build the trucks. The stock tapered bearing setup is far cheaper and far more reliable.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The guy that told you the newer unit-style front bearings are better, he needs smacked in the face. They have no advantage other than speeding up manufacturing time when they build the trucks. The stock tapered bearing setup is far cheaper and far more reliable.

Oh he's talking about the new style pre assembled bearing hubs ?

If that's what your talking about...You cant repack them and some of those sealed units are not cheap. I repack mine every year or 2. I bought my bearings in 2006 and still running just fine cause I repack them every year or so.

Yes its a bit of a PITA when all you need to do is change rotors but how often is that. I don't think I have had to buy rotors in over 15 years.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Being its a first truck I would use the 350 you have and the TH400 and use your budget to a unique truck out of it. A 144 super charger on a stock 350 would be a great in a truck. The 144 superchargers are designed for stock motors and will make a lot of torque. Would be great for towing and climbing. Or spend the money on something like a double transfer case set up and a cool lift with hydraulic assist steering are were I would be spending my money. The LS swap is a rad idea but if you already have a motor and transmission I would use your funds on things you don't have, motor mods, suspension parts, off road lighting, winch, on board air, CB, bumpers, skid plates, and other cool mods. As far as transmissions go I am looking at doing a NV4500 swap in my truck. Looks like a stronger transmission than a 700R4 and has a way low 1st gear which would be better off road.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
I had an 87 with a 350 and 700r4 208 setup and beat the **** out of it. Had over a 1500lbs in the bed and it didn't have a issue pulling it. Pulled a boat and numerous trailers with it. I would say as long as your not doing some real heavyweight trailer you should be good with that setup. Now I 83 K20 have a small block 400 and a 700r4 208 setup and even that does well with pulling whatever it needs to do. I myself am not a fan of the 700r4 because around town it will shift into overdrive at 35 and eat gas mileage (manually shift it to overdrive) but I'm partial to standard transmissions anyways. Just my two cents. If I'm wrong on anything feel free to chime in and correct me I'm here to learn too

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBSS GUY