82 K10 Engine Swap - Distributor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyChief

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sometimes it's the small things that get in my way.

Swapping the stock 305 for a 350 that a local machine shop built for me. Stock distributor (HEI) has two wiring plugs coming from the distributor. New motor's distributor does not have these wiring plugs. I'm guessing no big issue, or is there something I'm not thinking about?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
2 wiring plugs? Gotta pic? I'm wanting to say you might have the TBI Dizzy.

But, if it's the biggo dizzy cap with the internal coil in the top of the cap style, then you probably have the ESC (Electornic Spark Conrol) version of the HEI full size.

If you must make the ESC dizzy work without the ECM, it can be done by twisting a few wires together to bypass the direction and timing from the ESC ECM via knock sensor. 82 is certainly a year for ESC so that's probably what you have. Nothing we can't handle though, so don't panic. We can either get that one working, or I'll get you a link to Skip White and you can get a brand new standard HEI with cap, rotor, ignition module and all for $50. Granted it's made in China, but it's been an OK dizzy for ESC elimination.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sometimes it's the small things that get in my way.

Swapping the stock 305 for a 350 that a local machine shop built for me. Stock distributor (HEI) has two wiring plugs coming from the distributor. New motor's distributor does not have these wiring plugs. I'm guessing no big issue, or is there something I'm not thinking about?

OK, I just RE READ and comprehended what you ACTUALLY said. :suicide:

So what you have OEM is probably the ESC Dizzy, and the one that came with the new engine that does NOT have the plugs is probably just the standard HEI Dizzy. So yes, it's no big deal. Just run with it. All you need to do is run your heavy guage IGN wire to the the plug in the Dizzy Cap. The other lead is for a TACH next to the IGN power plug in the cap. That too is optional of course.

Difference between the standard HEI and the ESC HEI, is that the ESC Dizzy has the ability to take direction from an ESC ECM behind the glove box to advance or retard the timing within the Ignition Control Module. The ECM allows for optimal advanced timing, but if a knock is detected via knock sensor on the right lower section of the block near the center freeze plug, then it retards the timing to control the detonation. That's all the ESC does. With the standard HEI, just set your initial timing and then depend on your Vac Advance and Centrifical Weight timing advance.

ArmyChief

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sorry, should have added pics:

Original Distributor:
You must be registered for see images attach

Distributor in new motor:
You must be registered for see images attach

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, as I said in my 2nd post AFTER I got my head outta my ass. So the first pic you posted IS an ESC dizzy. The 2nd one is just a standard HEI Dizzy. That would be my choice to run, the one that came with the donor engine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not a bad idea to keep that ESC dizzy around for a spare if it works and isn't wore out. I'd say it's not worth rebuilding if it's wore out, but to keep as a back up spare in a pinch, you can cut that plug off, twist a couple wires together to bypass the Ignition Control Module Advance feature or ESC feature, then it'll work just like the standard HEI dizzy. The ICM is more expensive for the ESC dizzy, so if it doesn't work, just trash the dizzy.

ArmyChief

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you! If my head were not up my ass, I probably could have offered a better question to start with.... LOL

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thank you! If my head were not up my ass, I probably could have offered a better question to start with.... LOL

Naww, it was pretty clear, I just skimmed and read to fast like I do so many times.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PapaBear8486