76 C-20 will not crank over unless steering wheel is tilted down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tms481

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have a 76 C20 Silverado Camper Special with 454 engine. Over the past few years I have had to tilt the steering wheel down before the engine would crank over. This past weekend the truck started as normal. Shut it off and tried to start it later. Would not crank over. The steering wheel was tilted down. Notice a small amount of smoke from under dash near the fuse block when trying to start it. Seen no sign of any burnt wires. No fuses blown. Replaced ignition switch, still will not crank. I still think its something to do with the tilt steering. Any ideas would be appreciated.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Steering column is possibly pinching wires underneath. Time to take a look and look for broken or pinched wires. This can and will create a short.

tms481

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Thanks for the suggestion but I have not seen any pinched wires around the steering column. Wondering if it could have a fusible link problem.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Funny thing is my '86 C30 does it too. Does not seem to affect anything so no big deal in my eyes. It will work once in a while with the tilt up, but mostly not. No idea. Its never been a big enough problem for me to tackle. Maybe when I dig in to replace the turn signal switch...

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You probably need to adjust or replace the ign switch that's mounted on top of the column under the dash.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I reread your post. Did you get the new switch adjusted properly ?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
when you say you "replaced the ignition switch" do you mean the actual ign switch or the lock cylinder where the key goes? I just ran into this problem on a buddies truck. it would only start with the tilt down, so I adjusted the switch. it was good for like 4 starts then nothing. well come to find out the rack was broke where it engages the rod to the switch, there was enough of it there to work with the tilt down, but when I adjusted the switch it was to much for what was left of the rack and totally broke. btw those racks are pricy. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Useenamez