700R4 worth anything?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
Strange. That is supposed to be mediated and controlled by the ECM in your truck. It's foolproof unless it's unplugged, a wire's broken, or the solenoid gives out. If you want to make it automatic again, you can check the pin out for a 7747 ECM, find the corresponding wires, and either trace and rewire or rewire directly. The more common manual-electric lockup switches that I've seen were just a switch. I've never seen one with a dial. Otherwise, it sounds like a really solid, dependable truck.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17245&highlight=Manual+lockup+switch

It's definately after market! I will take a picture and post it on my own thread later.

Thanks, yes. I look forward to driving it a long time.

I have been using it to move around things around the house with just 1-2 gear, still running great.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'll take a $100 for mine when I get it out, and it is working good now, way better than the engine is. I think I found an adapter, but I do need a tail housing for my 208 transfer case. I can get the trans rebuilt with a new converter and sell it for around $850 to $900. The guy that would do it is very good, it would be with warranty, and I could provide the phone # for someone to call him. It would take a couple weeks because it's around 90 miles from me and that's 1 way. I'd have to make 2 trips. I've got a bunch of later model 4L60's he's done out there and a few $L80's and never had a problem yet. Not trying to make a bunch of money, just trying to help someone out.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'd take it as is for that price but like I said it'll be may before I'm over that way, may find something local. I've got no use for a 700r4 either I like a th350 but I'll take what I can get

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It'll be a little while before I can get a trans done, and buy the rest of the stuff I need to do the engine swap. I'm in no hurry, just let me know.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Alright, so thanks for letting me know this is not a good transmission for me. Betting the increased torque and HP on my engine contributed to the demise of my 700r4.

I will ask the shop what clutch pack they will be using. If I am not up to pulling the transmission myself (I don't currently have a good place to do it), The grand total on the repair/rebuild and removal/installation is right about $1100. Cheapest price, of the 3 shops I talked to, and from the shop my mechanic (And a buddy of mine at work) recommend.

Normally added HP/Torque won't kill a clutch pack. Maybe clutch packs or a band used for 1st and 2nd, but by 3rd gear, you're usually cruising and the added power shouldn't really hurt. Normally added HP/Torque kill hard parts, breaks shafts, tears up roller clutches or sprags, thrust issues and such. Not saying it's not possible, just stating the norm.

Yes, do ask how or what he uses to beef up the 3/4 clutch pack. If nothing, then I'd demand something be done. As said, I'd go with at least the Commercial Alto 3/4 pack. I'd imagine they are doing the Vette Servo, that's cheap enough just about all builders do that one. I'd also ask if it's getting The Beast or Smartshell Sunshell. Some guys use a hardened aftermarket China made shell. Don't let them talk you into 5 pinion planets from like a 4L65-E. 4 Pinion Planets are strong enough unless you're in a drag car, and most who do upgrade to 5 Pinion Planets use China made 5 Pinions and those China junk pot metal planets are actually weaker than the OEM 4 Pinion Planets. You might also want to suggest a wider 2/4 band for a bit more gripping surface.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
It'll be a little while before I can get a trans done, and buy the rest of the stuff I need to do the engine swap. I'm in no hurry, just let me know.

fine by me buddy I gotta get money together as well and then like I said end of april beginning of may when we roll thru your way

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
Normally added HP/Torque won't kill a clutch pack. Maybe clutch packs or a band used for 1st and 2nd, but by 3rd gear, you're usually cruising and the added power shouldn't really hurt. Normally added HP/Torque kill hard parts, breaks shafts, tears up roller clutches or sprags, thrust issues and such. Not saying it's not possible, just stating the norm.

Yes, do ask how or what he uses to beef up the 3/4 clutch pack. If nothing, then I'd demand something be done. As said, I'd go with at least the Commercial Alto 3/4 pack. I'd imagine they are doing the Vette Servo, that's cheap enough just about all builders do that one. I'd also ask if it's getting The Beast or Smartshell Sunshell. Some guys use a hardened aftermarket China made shell. Don't let them talk you into 5 pinion planets from like a 4L65-E. 4 Pinion Planets are strong enough unless you're in a drag car, and most who do upgrade to 5 Pinion Planets use China made 5 Pinions and those China junk pot metal planets are actually weaker than the OEM 4 Pinion Planets. You might also want to suggest a wider 2/4 band for a bit more gripping surface.

Wow, that is a lot of great information! Thank you.

I will give them a call and ask. I plan on putting her in the shop for the fix in probably February. The main thing I am worried about is having her in the shop and not sitting outside. Too easy for someone to spot it and target her for theft out in the open next to a main drag where it is.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I had one that worked came out of my 88 and I liked to never got $50 out of it. It was 4wd trans too, the local trans guy said he throws em away when he gets em. I thought, wow. Local guy had one for sale awhile back wanted 225 for it and transfer case together. I think he got less.

That's cheap compared to when I was quoted. I asked a reputable shop around here what it would cost to swap. They wanted damn near $1100 to do all the work!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I had my 700r4 rebuilt a few years back. The trans shop I used put all Kevlar clutches, Corvette servos, B&M stage 2 shift kit, one wire lock up, pretty much built it tough as it could be, and a new Torq converter, 1250 bucks and that was me bringing it to them, and putting it in myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast