700R4 Lock Up Converter Talk and Diagnose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Jim being prejudice again, posting **** most of us don't have. :rofl: None of my trucks which only 2 are 700r4 w Lock up, but neither have ALDL.

But, back at the ranch. Vac switch for NON ECM operated vehicles is on the firewall just off center to the right side. You'll see a vac line coming off of it, and a plug of I believe 3 wires. If not been posted yet, I'll look for a schematic for Lock Up of Non ALDL vehicles, usually 86 and earlier.
Another question often asked, can you use a 700r4 out of vehicle that has ECM TBI that computer locks up the converter in an older truck that does NOT have an ECM? The answer is YES. No modification needed. The only difference of the 2 systems, is how they get their signal to lock up the converter, but the signal uses the same wire to the trans. It doesn't matter how it gets it's signal just so long as it gets it's signal.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Jim being prejudice again, posting **** most of us don't have. :rofl: None of my trucks which only 2 are 700r4 w Lock up, but neither have ALDL.

But, back at the ranch. Vac switch for NON ECM operated vehicles is on the firewall just off center to the right side. You'll see a vac line coming off of it, and a plug of I believe 3 wires. If not been posted yet, I'll look for a schematic for Lock Up of Non ALDL vehicles, usually 86 and earlier.
Another question often asked, can you use a 700r4 out of vehicle that has ECM TBI that computer locks up the converter in an older truck that does NOT have an ECM? The answer is YES. No modification needed. The only difference of the 2 systems, is how they get their signal to lock up the converter, but the signal uses the same wire to the trans. It doesn't matter how it gets it's signal just so long as it gets it's signal.
I think my original 86 trans had a pressure switch towards the back of the pan on the pass side, even though I did have an ECM.
This is why we need an efi section, I assumed that bucket was talking about his 88?
But yes, there is a calibrated vac switch that controlls the ground for the lock up, and the hot side still hasthe brake switch.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think my original 86 trans had a pressure switch towards the back of the pan on the pass side, even though I did have an ECM.
This is why we need an efi section, I assumed that bucket was talking about his 88?
But yes, there is a calibrated vac switch that controlls the ground for the lock up, and the hot side still hasthe brake switch.

No, this is all still good info. Just that we need to cover both types. ECM controlled and NON ECM controlled. Now what are you referring to as pressure switch on an 86?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Well, When I installed the 88trans when I still had the CCC, I had to tap cap on the Vette servo that I had installed, to control lockup. Looked at my 86 unit, and it had a pressur switch in the side, on a port on the right rear of the trans. Cant find a pic of an early 700r4, or I would point it out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ahhhh yeah. I keep forgetting your in Cali. I'm sure you're aware, Cali trucks came in with CCC (computer command control) in what? About 82? The rest of the 49 state vehicles didn't get that, then TBI happened and everyone was ECM operated with OBD 1. But, I was not aware that CCC ECM vehicles were ECM controlled lockup.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Hold it!!!!! HOOOOLLLLLD ITTTT!!!! :Sumo::Sumo:

I want to know exactly how a lockup converter works!!!! Inside the T/C!!! Is there a motorcycle type clutch in there?? How does it work in there???

:popcorn:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You must be registered for see images attach

See the clutch and pressure plate? The solenoid that we are referring to as the TCC solenoid(Transmission Converter Control) controls the flow of pressurized fluid, through a journal on the input shaft. Think ofnthe TCC valve as a clutch pedal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hold it!!!!! HOOOOLLLLLD ITTTT!!!! :Sumo::Sumo:

I want to know exactly how a lockup converter works!!!! Inside the T/C!!! Is there a motorcycle type clutch in there?? How does it work in there???

:popcorn:

Why don't you just Google it Dave. uhh I mean John, sorry!!!

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

See the clutch and pressure plate? The solenoid that we are referring to as the TCC solenoid(Transmission Converter Control) controls the flow of pressurized fluid, through a journal on the input shaft. Think ofnthe TCC valve as a clutch pedal.

Thank you Jim.

Why don't you just Google it Dave. uhh I mean John, sorry!!!

:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ahhhh yeah. I keep forgetting your in Cali. I'm sure you're aware, Cali trucks came in with CCC (computer command control) in what? About 82? The rest of the 49 state vehicles didn't get that, then TBI happened and everyone was ECM operated with OBD 1. But, I was not aware that CCC ECM vehicles were ECM controlled lockup.

Not 100% sure mine was controlled by the ecm.
Very little info on those systems.
I am only 95% sure, because when I installed the reman 88 unit, the lockup was all screwed up. it was locking up from 2nd gear on up, my buddy at the trans shop installed the pressure switch in the servo cover, and it was all good.
The old trans, had the same switch in the rear of the 2 pressure taps that were on the passenger side.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes, with the key on, foot off pedal, you should see power there. press the brake, and you should see no power.

Ok Jim, I got exactly that, power at pin f, key on, disappears when I hit brake. So next test is ground f pin while driving to see if it locks up right?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok Jim, I got exactly that, power at pin f, key on, disappears when I hit brake. So next test is ground f pin while driving to see if it locks up right?

You should not have power at pin f of.....wait a minute, ok, thats normal. What you are seeing, is the hot side of the TCC through the solenoid coil. So, that confirms power to the solenoid. When you ground pin F, the TCC should lock the trans....Yes, gotta do it while you are driving to notice.
Yes, this is a Ninja Edit.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
And if it does not lock up, either the pressure switch or solenoid are bad. should be around $40 or less for both.

In this pic, the TCC solenoid is the part on the right parimeter with the 2 wires going to it, then follow those wires the left, and up, to the 4th gear pressure switch(with the green connector), which screws into the valve body.
HR, what is that switch under the aux. valve body fluid tube? Is that a newer style temp switch? Mine is mounted on a spring steel tab.

This pic, is what my valve body looks like

This is upside down from the first pic, but the green connector is the pressure switch, and above that, with the black connector, is the temp sensor.
I think yours is the same, John.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I grounded terminal f driving in 3rd gear and it blew the 20 amp gauges/idle fuse. :wtf:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB