6.5L Turbo Rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Hey guys. I found a complete turbo set-up off a 6.5L for fairly cheap. The only problem is the turbo is "no good". Iv seen pictures and its not blown. How hard is it to rebuild a 6.5 turbo? And is this set-up a direct fit?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sometimes, it is cheaper to pickup a rebuilt than to do a rebuild on Your own. If You trust someone elses handywork.
I know nothing about if it will fit, or not.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My old boss said that the entire setup should swap over, but it's been years and I could be forgetting any complications he mentioned.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wonder if the pistons for the turboed engine would be a bit lower on compression and possibly a heavier duty piston too. ???

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey guys. I found a complete turbo set-up off a 6.5L for fairly cheap. The only problem is the turbo is "no good". Iv seen pictures and its not blown. How hard is it to rebuild a 6.5 turbo? And is this set-up a direct fit?

Its usually the seals and barings that go in the center section. You may be able to get a kit. **** happens because people dont let it idle down after jammin down the road. Guys drive up, throw it in park, shut it off.....you can still hear the turbo spinnin.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Its usually the seals and barings that go in the center section. You may be able to get a kit. **** happens because people dont let it idle down after jammin down the road. Guys drive up, throw it in park, shut it off.....you can still hear the turbo spinnin.

Yep, then all that heat cooks the oil in the turbo, resulting in "coking", and it kills the bearings.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yep, then all that heat cooks the oil in the turbo, resulting in "coking", and it kills the bearings.

Not to mention, crankin at 10k rpm with no oil pressure.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It's my understanding the Turbo set up from a 6.5 is supposed to be a direct bolt on to the 6.2. Not positive though. I've not done it myself.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It won't fit if you have factory A/C as the passenger side manifold hits. If you feel like hacking up the plastic A/C box under the hood then you can make it fit. I know it's been done several times.

I'm hoping to run across either a Banks kit or an ATS kit that was sold for the early GMT400's that still had the 6.2

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It won't fit if you have factory A/C as the passenger side manifold hits. If you feel like hacking up the plastic A/C box under the hood then you can make it fit. I know it's been done several times.

I'm hoping to run across either a Banks kit or an ATS kit that was sold for the early GMT400's that still had the 6.2
How about changing to an air box from an air conditioned pickup/suburban that, had A/C ???
Make it look unhacked and original, if it would work.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
The previous owner hacked up the A/C for me... You don't realize how nice A/C is until you don't have it lol

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
Heres an idea for ya: What if I got 2 6.5 turbo manifolds and flipped one around so itd bolt onto the drivers side? Is that possible? Im sure SOMEONES tried it... Id have to mess with the wastegates to make sure each one is only running 4-5 psi lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMblood