6.2 years to avoid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
2-300k on a diesel is a joke. If that is even something we're discussing here then my mind is made up the 6.2 is a joke. In the past I have seen several "modern" diesel engines (> mid-late 90s ish) that came through the shop (I wasn't a diesel tech so I never worked on the engines themselves, but still pulled in many for oil changes and or suspension/brake work etc) that had 6-700k on them and they were still running strong. Sheiiiit, I've had SBCs that had 250k on them...

rwjtexas

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Well that is interest
Unfortunately, none of that is true.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I ordered a K-5 in 1983 and cancelled it due to the issues with the engine I was hearing about. I bought mine in 1985 when "they were supposed to have been improved on" ...

It was the predecessor Oldsmobile Diesel LF9 / 350 cu in that was supposed to have issues .. from what I have read, these were okay but ended production in 1985.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well that is interest

I ordered a K-5 in 1983 and cancelled it due to the issues with the engine I was hearing about. I bought mine in 1985 when "they were supposed to have been improved on" ...

It was the predecessor Oldsmobile Diesel LF9 / 350 cu in that was supposed to have issues .. from what I have read, these were okay but ended production in 1985.
Those olds 350 diesel engines were junk for sure, but they were never a 6.2 truck engine. Two completely different animals to say the least. Mind you, this is coming from someone who wouldn't drive a 6.2 truck if it was free (well, I'd take the poor thing if it really was free but I'd put a real engine in it), but still, you cannot say that junk 5.7 diesel is just the early 6.2, they were not identical at all.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Well that is interest

They only offered the Olds diesel in the lightest weight of the 10 series trucks between 1979 and 1980. It may have been available in 1981, but definitely not in anything except a pickup. Once the 6.2L was introduced in 1982 they did not offer the 5.7L Olds in any truck. You've crossed up the two engines. There is no connection between them, and they were not offered concurrently in the trucks.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
This thread is becoming very interesting. I've always been interested in those trucks but have no experience.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe