6.2 wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NedFlanders

Reaction score
First Name
Ned
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Trying to get a 6.2 started in an auction truck I bought. Glow plugs work, have 12v on pink wire at injection pump, getting fuel at filter box when open bleed screw, no white smoke from exhaust. Even disconnected glow plugs and gave it a shot of either and still no start.

If im not mistaken even with a bad injection pump it should still briefly "fire" on starting fluid, right?

Any other ideas?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Trying to get a 6.2 started in an auction truck I bought. Glow plugs work, have 12v on pink wire at injection pump, getting fuel at filter box when open bleed screw, no white smoke from exhaust. Even disconnected glow plugs and gave it a shot of either and still no start.

If im not mistaken even with a bad injection pump it should still briefly "fire" on starting fluid, right?

Any other ideas?

Its probably the mechanical fuel pump.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It should still fire briefly on starting fluid. Compression, air, fuel are all thats needed... must be lack of compression???

Ether is not good for a 6.2! Undo the fuel line from the pump to the injector at the pump and crank it catching the fuel in a bucket. crank for 30 seconds and see how much fuel you have. Mine did the exact same thing when the mechanical pump went.

Its totally possible that you have other issues but I would start with the basics first and don't blow any more Ether down its throat!

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
ether in a 6.2 is like playing Russian roulette sooner or later you lose, and then it's all over. so you said the glow plugs work, how was that concluded? I assume you have power at the plugs. but did you check the plugs themselves? I would pull a couple of plugs then have someone turn the truck over see if you have fuel misting out of the glow plug hole. this will tell you if fuel is being injected into the precup. get back with the results. highdesertranger

NedFlanders

Reaction score
First Name
Ned
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Injection pump is bad. Have good stream from filter box, barely a dribble from removed injector line.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You can buy rebuilt injection pumps for a pretty reasonable price

NedFlanders

Reaction score
First Name
Ned
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Yea but I would rather replace an engine than replace an IP. Plus be my luck they hydrocked it or blew it up using ether with the glow plugs hooked up.

On another note I have an issue with another 6.2 auction truck. Starts right up, but idles very rough and smokes excessively then dies few seconds later. While its running if I give it any pedal idle wont increase at all. Repeat over and over nothing changes, except run time gets shorter each time. If I start it with pedal halfway to floor and hold it there it will run at about right speed you would expect, smoking excessively then die a few seconds later. Repeat and its the same as above.

Thought it was sucking air, so replaced canister filter with spin on, no better. Then thought was bad lift pump so installed an inline Airtex electric pump, no better. Tomorrow I am going to try and blow out return fuel line, maybe an obstruction. After that I dont know.

Any suggestions, or is the IP shot on this one as well?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Kinda sounds like it is too :(

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
why don't you see if there is air in it for sure, before you buy parts you don't need. put clear tubing on the return line off your IP. hook both ends up normally. start the engine and look for air bubbles in the clear line. there should be none. do you have the rectangle filter or a spin on? highdesertranger

NedFlanders

Reaction score
First Name
Ned
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I pulled the return line from the injectors at the T where it goes into the pump, started the truck, and no fuel is coming out. Thats bad isnt it?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
how many miles on this thing?

Forum statistics