500hp 350 carbureted and 700r4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
It's not too hard to get there with a SBC but you'll have to stroke it. My 358 is close on pump gas but you have to have someone who knows what they are doing with heads flow and cam combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I am really trying hard to not sound like an internet ******** keyboard warrior but when you mentioned supercharger and not being able to afford running 91 octane all the time I had to post something. Shop around on the online speed shops for forged pistons, compare that to hypertueteicicicsiahalg whatever pistons.

Im with Hirshdale on the big block idea.

I just put one together for my C/1500 and its an absolute handful to drive. Its pretty much stock with the exception of the aftermarket sealed power pistons, a comp cams roller cam/ lifter kit and some fancy roller rocker arms. I am even running factory heads and tbi. Does not sound like much but its a runner!

Second good option is a really interesting one I was reading about. Apparently you can just find a LS series engine out of a wrecked car, install a cam and have 600 horses without building ****. I cant remember the article exactly but LS engines will get you alot closer for less money if you could find a good one.

Option 3 is for if you are dead set on building a small block, go buy David Vizards book on making big power with a small block chevy. It will tell you exactly what to buy and what to do. Its way better than advice like this ******** I am typing to you right now.

aba69x

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
i am going to put in a 454. if i wanted to do cam, headers, intake, and a carb could i be around 500-600?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
i am going to put in a 454. if i wanted to do cam, headers, intake, and a carb could i be around 500-600?

Yes you sure can, but you forgot one huge ingredient. These items alone aren't going to get it done through peanut port heads. You're going to need some heads. Does no good to take a big deep breath, and have a biggo exhaust for exhale when the heads will be your bottleneck.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Yep heads is money well spent, but you can't just get any heads. You can have ports runners that are too big for your cam carb intake etc. everything needs to match.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And what I would do, is put all the money can afford into the heads, then build your motor around the heads. They are the key to everything into the motor and everything out of the motor. Then from there, you choose your stall for your trans, and your gear ratio.

aba69x

Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
ohh. ok. so first is heads. then cam. intake. carb. then headers? what would be a good set of heads to use?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ohh. ok. so first is heads. then cam. intake. carb. then headers? what would be a good set of heads to use?

That's what I would do. Heads will always be your biggest expense, whether it be buying heads or having machine work done. The better performing heads you have, the better or stronger performing cam, intake, carb and exhaust you have. Also being heads are the most expense, then that's where you basically start with your budget, cuz the cam and other parts are real close to the same expense no matter what you go with other than, flat tappet or roller valve train.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
honestly big blocks cost more in parts and such to build then a small block.

my vote sbc, maybe do it out to 383, good heads and intake cam to match, maybe look into a matched kit for like $1500-2000 from summit, either edelbrock, dart, trickflow, tons of options.

I know the edelbrock victor heads claim 500 hp out of the box, and then you can get a victor intake and such too, but those are single plane setups and not the best choice for daily or street trucks, so tons of things come into play.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
I wouldn't want a flat tappet for a daily driver. Hydraulic roller would be the best. AFR heads if you want to open your wallet. Still want to get the right ones. Easy to get too big on a street engine. 500hp on a stock block is a Bit much but may be okay if you're not horsing it around.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
why would you not want a flat tappet for daily? they've been around forever and we've never had any issues with them.

Now a solid flat tappet type where you have to adjust the valves a lot of put up with the clicking maybe I can understand.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
why would you not want a flat tappet for daily? they've been around forever and we've never had any issues with them.

Now a solid flat tappet type where you have to adjust the valves a lot of put up with the clicking maybe I can understand.

Why run flat tappet though when you can run a roller? Allows you to run a much more aggressive lobe without premature wear. More aggressive lobe ramp = more power with the same lift because you can open the valve faster.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
way too freakin expensive is why. almost $300 for a cam and not including the lifters, when you can buy cam and lifter kits in flat tappet for under $200 that's why.

I understand the advantages of roller and what not but my wallet don't allow it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yes you sure can, but you forgot one huge ingredient. These items alone aren't going to get it done through peanut port heads. You're going to need some heads. Does no good to take a big deep breath, and have a biggo exhaust for exhale when the heads will be your bottleneck.

Thats where the LS engines shine...the tall, narrow intake ports. Volume+velocity=yeeeeeehaaaaw!

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size

Where I'm from if you say "flat tappet" that means solid. Even if that's not technically correct. Lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06