5.7 vortec timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gbow

Reaction score
First Name
Gregory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 vortec
Well after some considerable searching and trial and error I have found the issue to be my qjet. I needed to adjust the secondary air valve. It was opening to quickly and leaning out my fuel mixture. Now I am swapping jets and metering rods to make the engine run like it wants. The trans is shifting weird but I don't want to mess with it till I get the carb right. Thanks again for your help.

geolee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
just reading the thread and lil late but to find tdc take ur spark plugs out when rotating the motor over and use a hose that fits perfect into the #1 spark plug hole and put a dog toy squeaker in the end of the tube. when its at tdc it will start squeaking. easiest way to find tdc....

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I never bother with the timing marks

I just find a hill and time it by ear
Advance it two degrees and run up the hill at full throttle

Advance it two degrees and repeat until it pings on the hill them back off two degrees

If your truck is a automatic trans You can also do it with a helper advancing the timing while you brake torque the engine

You can also set it with a vacuum gauge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1