5.3 heater hose question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Does anyone know the size of the heater hose for the smaller nipple on the engine?

Thanks

John4518

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I believe the hose sizes are 3/4 and 5/8 if I'm not mistaken...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think the smaller hose is 5/8" - 3/4" for the big one.

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Awesome guys, Thanks!!

Houston Ben

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
One more question on the heater hoses, does it matter what which hose is connected to either nipple? I know one is smaller but following the hoses to the fire wall, does it matter which one is going in and which one is going out?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah - for a number of reasons:

1. The supply to the core from the engine needs to be connected to the nipple in the intake manifold. This area heats up the fastest

2. It is on the discharge side of the water pump. While the coolant system is actually all at one pressure, the water pump provides circulation through the engine. Coolant is pushed to the heater core by the circulating effect of the pump.

3. The supply to the heater core (like most simple heat exchangers) is designed to come in at the bottom and exit at the top. The reason for this is to ensure that the coils remain "packed" (i.e. completely full of coolant). If the flow is from the bottom up and out the top, any entrained air that enters the coils flows to the top and is carried away. Also if the coolant came in from the top it would be more likely to begin "laning" - following the quickest way out instead of flooding the coils to provide the best heat transfer.

But maybe the best reason is - because the 5/8" nipple is on the bottom and the 3/4" one is at the top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes