4x4 advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I really want to keep it as original as possible so just some meatier tires brush guard and I really don't care for the double headlights it has much prefer the quads but will that hurt the value with it being original? Might throw a phantom grill on it instead. I'm gonna try to get in there and find the casting # on the block this afternoon. Guy says it has a 350 but vin code says 305 unless it's been swapped. Either way it's got wicked pull and I'd rather have the original 305 than a random 350.

I would keep it if it were me. It would probably be difficult to replace for 5K. These trucks aren't really that valuable as #s matching vehicles. a mint #s matching is probably 25K if it looks like it came from the showroom floor!

10k is the average value of a rust free square body with a stock setup.

I love these trucks because they are so easy to work on and there are so many different options for driveline and suspension and its all pretty affordable too!

I prefer the quads my self and yes you need to find a donor at the wreckers because you need the rad support to house the lights and you need the wiring harness and light bezels.

brad.webster

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe
Engine Size
How big can I go with the tires without a lift?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
31s for certain, possibly 33s with the proper back spacing.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How big can I go with the tires without a lift?

Depends where it sits at stock. I know a 3/4 ton can take 285/70/R17 which is pretty close to 285/75/R16 which is just shy of 33"

@rich weyand has a nicely low lifted truck I think its 2 1/2 in the front and 3 in the back. Something like that would work well for you! Its a nice look too! IMO

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We have had this convo a lot in the past. My opinion is that these trucks are worth what one person will pay and the other will take. Location and condition are key. That truck in the rust belt is worth well over 5k. If it's mechanically sound, I could get 5 or 6 for it all day long in southern OK, and wouldn't have to look for a buyer outside of the small town I live in. Just depends on how hard you try to sell it, who you market it to and how long your willing to sit on it before you get paid. My truck isn't that stock and although it's got a new crate motor in it, the paint isn't in that good of shape and I have 2 or 3 guys stop me every week asking if I'm ready to sell it. If you don't have to drive it, clean it up, park it on the garage and in another 10 years it's worth twice as much.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Looks like a deal to me.