4l80e conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
i'm seriously thinking about getting a 80e to use instead of the 60e i already have for my ls conversion. especially while motor isn't in yet. my question is are the 90s version just as good as the 00s? i can find 90s for 3-500, and the newer ones are going for over 1k. my power goal is around 500 to the wheels.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
i'm seriously thinking about getting a 80e to use instead of the 60e i already have for my ls conversion. especially while motor isn't in yet. my question is are the 90s version just as good as the 00s? i can find 90s for 3-500, and the newer ones are going for over 1k. my power goal is around 500 to the wheels.

nothing wrong with a 90's model 4L80E. To do the conversion it is SUPER SIMPLE. Do NOT buy any fancy dancy wiring converters. I can explain how to modify your harness to accept the 4l80e. All for the simple and cheap cost of an ECT sensor pigtail.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
any benefit to running the newer tranny?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
The First few years had problems with the Case Connector leaking, there is an updated connedctor to fix it, but personally I would just look for a 95 and up.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early 80E's with the stacked cooler fittings have a better lube design than the later "central" lube units. BUT, the later units do have some updates.

If you want to run a junkyard unit, look for the newest one with the lowest mileage.

If you are going to have the trans rebuilt, then it's best to start with an early core(with the stacked cooler fittings) and have all the newer updates added to it during the rebuild.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000