454 head gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrHolliday

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Short wide
Engine Size
Hey guys, I have a Franken truck. K10 Short wide with a 454 sm465 and np205. It's how I bought it. I discovered milky oil in it yesterday. I'm leaning towards a blown head gasket. Anything I should look put for when I have it apart?

Block is a 75- 87 block casting number 1401544

Heads are 70-73 casting number 353049.

Unknown cam and pistons.

Any special gaskets I should get or any brands I should stay away from? This is my first BBC everything else has been small blocks. I really hope there is nothing wrong with the block...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just clean up and look over the head surface really good. Most of the time if there is a crack, you'll be able to see it. They like to crack between the water jacket holes, and from the valve pocket to the water jackets, also check the block surface too, for cracks. You wont really be able to see inside the cylinder to check if the cylinder walls are cracked. Just make sure when you take the heads off, that you take them off somewhat nicely so your head gasket doesn't just rip apart, then inspect the gaskets for missing material or discoloration, usually the little strip between the cylinders fail.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Could also just be an intake gasket leaking. I'd actually point fingers at that before anything else. A blown head gasket most often is a compression leak between cylinders or compression leak to coolant passages.

DrHolliday

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Short wide
Engine Size
Could also just be an intake gasket leaking. I'd actually point fingers at that before anything else. A blown head gasket most often is a compression leak between cylinders or compression leak to coolant passages.

That's what I'm thinking the problem is. Other than coolant in the oil pan there are no other symptoms or issues with the truck. It runs great.

I'm tearing it down between tomorrow and the 1st. Should be able to get it apart and back together pretty quickly. I am still going to pull the heads and look. I'm also curious as to what the truck is running for pistons. I'll put up pics of anything I find.

DrHolliday

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Short wide
Engine Size
Looks like it was the intake manifold gaskets leaking. The heads were totally sealed and now signs of cracks or warps.

My intake manifold is pretty pitted at the back end were it seals the back water ports in the head. Pretty sure I got it to seal up, but if it doesn't I'll replace the intake manifold.

I did drop a bolt in the motor so I had to drop the oil pan to get it. That was a pain and the new oil pan gasket did not seal at the front. How are the 1 piece gaskets? Any easier to put in with the motor in the truck? And are any brands better than others?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The 1-piece gaskets are the bee's knees. Just use a dab of RTV in the corners even if the destructions say not to. FelPro and Victor Reinz are good.

DrHolliday

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Short wide
Engine Size
The 1-piece gaskets are the bee's knees. Just use a dab of RTV in the corners even if the destructions say not to. FelPro and Victor Reinz are good.

Thanks, that's what I'll do. It was almost impossible getting the 4 piece in with the motor in the truck. Think that might be a large part of why it's leaking. This time I'll lift the motor a good bit to make enough room.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP