4 new starters and still wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
iv tryed 4 new starters withh all different shims and i cant seem to get it to start.,

when you go to start it, it clicks really fast and the starter gear is stuck on fly wheel. you have to turn fly wheel by hand or loosen starter to have to retract.

im ******* going nuts here, iv try 4 differnet starters and 1 2 3 4 5 shims. nothing.

iv used the same starters for a while and never had a issue

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
iv tryed 4 new starters withh all different shims and i cant seem to get it to start.,

when you go to start it, it clicks really fast and the starter gear is stuck on fly wheel. you have to turn fly wheel by hand or loosen starter to have to retract.

im ******* going nuts here, iv try 4 differnet starters and 1 2 3 4 5 shims. nothing.

iv used the same starters for a while and never had a issue

You have an issue with the battery and or current.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
When did the problem first start? It sounds like an alignment issue to me, almost as if the starter bolt has been redrilled and tapped off center.

But theres no substitute for diagnostics so lets start there.
Ground cable clean and tight at the Battery AND the Engine Block?
Positive cable Clean and tight at the Battery and the starter?

Purple wire at the starter should have system voltage when in the crank position. Connect a negative test lead to the negative battery terminal, then the positive lead to the Purple wire. Record your voltage Reading.

Now atach your negative lead to the Starter housing directly, then atach your positive lead to the purple wire again, turn the key to crank and record your voltage reading. If your voltage reading in this test is significantly less then you have a bad ground issue.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I just might be what pops suggests but I'd say odds are slim but still worth making sure of. It is possible someone broke a bolt off and then drilled it out and the housing is now off, but again, its rare.

I would sure make sure my cables and battery are up to par. That is what it does sound like to me.
Have you put a tool on he moto and turnd it over by hand to see how it feels? Its not seized or have a bad bearing dragging and causing excessive friction on the motor??? It would be a shame if that's the case, but I've seen it where a guy is in your boat changing stater and shims and .... turned out to be a bad motor.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I just might be what pops suggests but I'd say odds are slim but still worth making sure of. It is possible someone broke a bolt off and then drilled it out and the housing is now off, but again, its rare.

I would sure make sure my cables and battery are up to par. That is what it does sound like to me.
Have you put a tool on he moto and turnd it over by hand to see how it feels? Its not seized or have a bad bearing dragging and causing excessive friction on the motor??? It would be a shame if that's the case, but I've seen it where a guy is in your boat changing stater and shims and .... turned out to be a bad motor.

He said the starter drive doesnt want to dis engage unless you loosen the starter, engine mechanical would not cause that. Only thing (s) that could cause that are: Low voltage, Poor Ground, faulty starter, or Mis alignment.

The only way I could even possably see the mechanics causing it is if the starter is already a weak starter. Guess it kind of depends on where the OP has been buying them, sure hope it isnt O'reillys. :shitsweak:

Wrecker

Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K30 and c10
Engine Size
6.2 and 5.7
might check flywheel too. it could be bent from all the jacking around hanging up stuff causing everything new to hang up as well. I normally don't need any shims on sbc motors and I've had a lot of them.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did you try measuring the gap between a high flywheel tooth and the pinion shaft on the starter like the directions say?

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
use a .125 ( 1/8 inch) allen key, drill bit anything that size.should fit between the teeth of the flex plate and starter.

So when you try to start it the starter snaps the drive out and it gets stuck on the flexplate it does not try to rotate the engine but the starter drive gets stuck on the flexplate teeth.

correct me if im wrong, once last thing was the nose cone crack on any of the starters

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
He said the starter drive doesnt want to dis engage unless you loosen the starter, engine mechanical would not cause that. Only thing (s) that could cause that are: Low voltage, Poor Ground, faulty starter, or Mis alignment.

The only way I could even possably see the mechanics causing it is if the starter is already a weak starter. Guess it kind of depends on where the OP has been buying them, sure hope it isnt O'reillys. :shitsweak:

Crap.......I just bought a starter from Oreillys that I haven't installed yet. It's an Ultima though, not the "Best" brand. Now you've got me worried. :doh2:

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ok i got it to turn over and start. iv never ever had to put shims in my 350. so today with no shims it starter pretty quiet, but it did have a zzziiiiiinnnnngggg after it starteed. but after starting it a few times, it starts to grind and pop like the battery is getting low,. i jump the battery and it starts quit again??

will a starter do that if the battery isnt good enough????
and iv have tryed full shims and it doenst help. how about half shims?? where do i put them/??

and how to i tell wats inbored and out bored on the starter??

thanks

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
ok i got it to turn over and start. iv never ever had to put shims in my 350. so today with no shims it starter pretty quiet, but it did have a zzziiiiiinnnnngggg after it starteed. but after starting it a few times, it starts to grind and pop like the battery is getting low,. i jump the battery and it starts quit again??

will a starter do that if the battery isnt good enough????
and iv have tryed full shims and it doenst help. how about half shims?? where do i put them/??

and how to i tell wats inbored and out bored on the starter??

thanks

You have an electrical problem. Check EVERYTHING leading to that starter. I just put a new one in my pickup last year and let it go dead on accident once by leaving my radio on. Battery was junk after being drained once, since I switched it I have no problems.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm thinking bad battery. Could have just 1 dead cell in it, so its weak, and just weak enough to cause your problems. AutoZone, O'reilly's, and Advance Auto, will all test your battery at no charge. For a good test, they will want to keep it for a few hours to put a good charge on it, then at the end of the charge they will test it. I'd probably go ahead and let them do it if I were you without alot of experience, instead of just guessing and throwing money at parts till you finally get it right.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
thankssss ill try that

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Would a dead battery keep the pinion gear sticking to the flywheel?

bobehud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
91' with early 80's drivetrain
Truck Model
Suburban K3500
Engine Size
454 carbed
that would be starter drive :Moon: pinon drive is in the diffs..;lol....
and maybe not likely.
a strong magnetic field pull the metal cyl in snapping the starter drive out engaging until you release the key killing power and the magnetic field shuts off and the spring draws it back
any garage worth its salt can do an electrical check out out will ck battery CCA alternator out,starter amp draw.
go with the info they give you and post it here for me

thank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85