350 vortec head swap runs good won't idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fatcat

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
5.7L
Hi,
I have a 79 k5 with a 350 and have just put in new GM 060 vortec heads with a new edelbrock performer RPM and used my old Holley 650 carb, and old HEI distributer.

I used the 501SD head gaskets and the manifold gaskets from the MS9800T2 kit. After cleaning them I used my old pushrods and old self-aligning rocker arms, and I already had center bolt valve covers so I used those aswell.

Now my first problem was I couldn't get the thing to fire properly and I tried swapping caps and the chip but I found out I needed 0.708" reach on the spark plugs and I was going by the normal 0.4" or so of the original, so I ended up going with the TR5's from NGK, I thought this would solve all my problems.

Now it runs fine and doesn't misfire at all, but I can't get the damn thing to idle! It will start great and if I rev it out it will keep running, but pretty well as soon as I let off it will die. I had someone in the engine bay hold the choke and we had it idling at around 3000RPM! What could be the problem?
Vacuum leak? Fuel issues? It sounds like it runs super lean. Could my carb be giving it the problems? It worked good before.

I tried premium in it today by putting it directly in the carb after draining the regular 87 stuff out of it and plugging off the hose to the fuel tank, but no go, it seems to run better but still can't get it to idle.

Has anyone else done this swap and had to change anything related to the carb? Bigger jets maybe?

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak.

Did you make any adjustments to the carb?

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
I second a vacuum leak.

fatcat

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
5.7L
Carb settings don't seem to do much I went ahead and pulled the intake going to get a new set of MS98000T's in the morning and try from there

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I have vortec heads on my HT383. They recommended AC Delco plugs: R44LTS

Wonder how those compare to your NGK ones.

Say- on your RPM manifold are you using that heat plenum under the carb? If so how did you hook it up?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Vacuum advance can also be acting up if it has vacuum advance