3/4 gallon of lucas fuel injector cleaner in gas tank - problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
so, i was cleaning the truck out, and instead of having this whole gallon of lucas crap rolling around why not use it? so i poured it all in the tank. about 3/4 gallon was left.

the tank was almost full. i am getting a rebuilt carburetor next week so my thought was to clean whole fuel system prior to that happening.

but, how the heck do i burn a tankful of fuel that has too much of this stuff in it since i dont even drive the old burb because there is something wrong with the existing carburetor?

i tried driving it today for a little bit - just like half a mile to the grocery store, and it seemed to idle smoother than it ever has before? maybe this stuff is really helpful?

i am just wondering if i should try to use up as much of this gas as possible or just leave it in there?

yeah, i know, i didn't think this all through very well :/

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Probably not a good idea to burn such a conentrated amount. Usually a pint per 20 gallons is sufficient and safe. Ypu will more than likely permanently damage any emissions equipment, especially your o2 sensor and most definately the catalytic converter is so equipped.

why don't you remove and soak the carb instead?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not that its the same thing...but I once ran 5 gallons of race fuel vp110 along with an otherwise full tank of unleaded. .....it ran great, accelerated great, ran warmer and....burned up my emissions equipment.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd drain 3/4 of it and fill it with straight gas to dilute it, then add small amounts every fill up until it's all gone, that way it won't harm any smog junk..

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
It also makes great weed killer.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
If the only effect is on emissions stuff I'll leave it in. No o2 sensors and no cats on the 77 burb. Any other damaging effects?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Might damage the valves? There's gotta be a reason why they suggest to dilute the mixture. Pull your plugs, they are usually a good indication.

In the least, it will smell horrible and make all the tree huggers nauseas. Lmao

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
so yeah the exhaust smells really, really bad but the truck runs really, really well. i drove it to work and back with no issues, though if you say the lucas stuff is going to damage the valves i'll take it out.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well, it is possible depends on what's all in it, I'd drain it and just use it up per instructions every fill up..

Jim Hensley

Reaction score
First Name
Shannon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
just drive it, its not going to hurt anything, christ you could almost run straight water as low as the compression is on these smog era small blocks, wont hurt a thing.
***** a waste of money anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli