25 MPG Dreamin' ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Well I must have put my question in the wrong forum so I will try this one,:3681700093_1f8b56e8,I got a 3/4 ton 2WD 85' GMC BURB' with a 6.2 diesel,700 R4 trans. 3.73 gears and a 14 bolt "SF",I have a lot of plans to wake up the engine,beef up the suspension,and all that but I have another idea,I know that back in the day when gm made the 8.2 diesels in the medium duty they put a 7 speed trans. a.k.a. a 5 speed with a 2 speed rear,well being the crazy overkill guy that I am I would like to try to fit one of those in my BURB' I know the bell housing is going to be a "fun time trying to make that bolt up and driveshaft issues as well but that aint gonna stop me I know it would sure help that engine run a lot smoother at 70 and would def. improve mpg,so has anyone ever done this yet ? If so I wanna hear from ya,is this even possible or just a pipe dream yay or nay I would like to hear some feed back, thanx in advance. :badidea: or :grd: ?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Are you wanting just the 5-speed, or the 5-speed and the 2-speed rearend?

I'm assuming no one replied to your other thread just for the fact that most pickup guys have never wrenched on a heavy truck. We had a couple, but I've never messed with or even looked at the transmissions.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Are you wanting just the 5-speed, or the 5-speed and the 2-speed rearend?

I'm assuming no one replied to your other thread just for the fact that most pickup guys have never wrenched on a heavy truck. We had a couple, but I've never messed with or even looked at the transmissions.

I replied.
I think its possible, but really not worth the co$t. some are reporting 22 mpg with a healthy 6.2
I say as long as the engine is mechanically sound, gearing should be the focus. A gear spread that allows the engine to work less, will yeild more of what you are looking for, like a 6 or more speed trans.
Aerodynamics are a big kicker with any truck from this era as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06