208C Overhaul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My 208C leaks from every seam, seal, etc. I have a feeling that the 4wd didn't work in this truck when I got it. Never could keep it running long enough to try it out, but there was spare parts as if the PO thought the same thing. Today I began disassembling the case and found a large amount of newer silicone sealant all over the place, most not even sticking (like it was used over oily / dirty surfaces). I tried to find a place that would rebuild this, but there is none. All said to "just go buy a reman unit"...but at 800-1000, thats not happening. So another mess to figure out as I go. Its pretty clean, and the chain doesn't feel too bad. Just not sure it worked and if not, why. Its out and apart....wont get easier to go through.

You must be registered for see images attach

So got the kit on the way. Upon separating the halves, found most of the needle bearings from the thrust bearing buried in a muck around a silver dollar sized magnet. Pretty sure this was apart before.

Also - anyone know how to get the speed gear out? I can turn it but it wont come out. I know there's just an o-ring but I dont want to gouge the case at all. The plastic insert looks like it is cracked so I need to remove/replace everything.

THX

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
One way, take an old speedo cable nut, you know the same nut that holds the cable to that drive. Put a flat washer that just fits inside the nut, then bolt that to your slide hammer. Thread the nut hooked to the slide hammer on, and bang it out.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I got it out ok. Now, are there different speedo gears to choose from? Need to replace the plastic gear and o-rings.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84