1996 5.7 vortec swap question-1985 GMC c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Found a running 1996 chevy truck that I plan to use as a donor. Is there any issue with reusing my 1985 700R4? engine will be rebuilt stock with maybe a air intake. Didnt know if it would cause issues since its not electronic.

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You should have no issue using the 700r4. You will not be able to run your stock intake though but there are options out there depending which direction you go

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What do you mean I wont be able to run the stock intake? Is it any taller than the TBI intake? I know those fit. I`m planning to build just a stock daily driver. I just want to replace the smogged out carb 305. If the vortec is going to give me clearance issues then I`ll go to TBI because I know those will fit just fine. Im not looking to build a power house, just something reliable. Cant affo4rd a 4.8 or 5.3 but I`m ok with doing a TBI or Vortec. Had both and was happy with both.

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What do you mean I wont be able to run the stock intake? Is it any taller than the TBI intake? I know those fit. I`m planning to build just a stock daily driver. I just want to replace the smogged out carb 305. If the vortec is going to give me clearance issues then I`ll go to TBI because I know those will fit just fine. Im not looking to build a power house, just something reliable. Cant affo4rd a 4.8 or 5.3 but I`m ok with doing a TBI or Vortec. Had both and was happy with both.
The bolt pattern on the intake is different . Your 96 vortec will have four bolts per side and be upright amd your tbi intake has 6 per side. There are aftermarket intakes that can bolt to a vortec engine that accept tbi or a carb.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The bolt pattern on the intake is different . Your 96 vortec will have four bolts per side and be upright amd your tbi intake has 6 per side. There are aftermarket intakes that can bolt to a vortec engine that accept tbi.

Ok, I get you now. Yeah I know they are different. I had no intention of reusing anything from my 305. I dont currently have TBI. I have a carbed 305 and I want to do a EFI conversion. I prefer vortec over TBI but I`m not picky if the price is right. I`ve been messing with cars for a little over 25yrs now so I`m pretty good mechanically. I`ve just never done any EFI swaps.

TheGreenBarron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sergio
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, I get you now. Yeah I know they are different. I had no intention of reusing anything from my 305. I dont currently have TBI. I have a carbed 305 and I want to do a EFI conversion. I prefer vortec over TBI but I`m not picky if the price is right. I`ve been messing with cars for a little over 25yrs now so I`m pretty good mechanically. I`ve just never done any EFI swaps.

Ok then you should have no problems bolting up to that 700r4

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I was concerned that I would have issues because its not electronic. Doesnt the VSS tell the computer the speed? Doesnt that go through the tranny too? I`m new at this stuff so bare with me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub