1988 bbc tbi power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
454 TBI TH400 4:11 gears
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know they say that these trucks were under powered bcs of heads and cam but my truck does not run like its under powered it fact its the total opposite, the only things I have done since I bought it was headers unrestrictive exhaust 2.5 and a good tune up . it does have 4:10 gears and its a crew cab dually , but this thing unloaded is a beast , do you think these changes may have freed up a few more ponies. I have read after awhile it falls over , but the more I press the pedal on mines the faster it goes with no hesitation. here is the motor.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
That thing is a monster! 454 and 4.10 gears,,,,should be able to haul anything you want with that,,,,,,

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
That thing is a monster! 454 and 4.10 gears,,,,should be able to haul anything you want with that,,,,,,
lol ,that it does , pulling 9000lb it starts of a little slow but when it gets going it goes

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I love my big block, it may have low horse power numbers compared to a hopped up 383 but nothing has that brutal low end power a big block gives you. The setup in my little truck is bad ass, it feels like infinite power on tap. If you get aggressive with the throttle its just sideways boiling tires on command.

Our turbo Fiat is a quick little car, I jumped in it after driving the truck around and it felt sluggish. I drove around in a stage 3 roush Mustang recently and I must say, my truck is way more scary to drive.

Im a big block fan from here on out.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I love my big block, it may have low horse power numbers compared to a hopped up 383 but nothing has that brutal low end power a big block gives you. The setup in my little truck is bad ass, it feels like infinite power on tap. If you get aggressive with the throttle its just sideways boiling tires on command.

Our turbo Fiat is a quick little car, I jumped in it after driving the truck around and it felt sluggish. I drove around in a stage 3 roush Mustang recently and I must say, my truck is way more scary to drive.

Im a big block fan from here on out.
The Roush cars are actually fairly tame on the street for the power numbers. Go from a Stage 3 to a Shelby GT500... 662HP (only 100 more HP) goes from street friendly performance car to retarded power in a hurry.

bmfp407

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
r20
Engine Size
low my big block hate the mpq

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Big blocks love to breathe, those peanut port heads will make good low end torque with high intake velocity but run out of breath very quickly.

anubisani

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
SEAN
Truck Year
Truck Model
R/V 3500
Engine Size
Big blocks love to breathe, those peanut port heads will make good low end torque with high intake velocity but run out of breath very quickly.
I want and can change the heads , but I hate to open a perfect running motor, and I don want to do anything that could mess up the tbi .

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The Roush cars are actually fairly tame on the street for the power numbers. Go from a Stage 3 to a Shelby GT500... 662HP (only 100 more HP) goes from street friendly performance car to retarded power in a hurry.

I drove an 09 GT-500 and it was more of a handfull than the Roush. I think it has to do with the difference in tires, this Roush has some enormous soft tires on it and the Shelby had more of a street car tire. The Shelby felt silly, it would not hook up. The Roush felt planted like it was using its power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64