1987 Silverado 350 tbi crank but won’t run.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yapay

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I figure now it’s time to reach out for help from the community. I’ve got a 1987 r10 Silverado with a 350 tbi. Lately it had been giving me odd issues with having trouble starting it was hot and a stalling issue. Saturday I drove a hour to my sisters place, parked and let it idle for a couple minutes to cool off before shutting off. Shut the truck off and about 30-45 minutes later I go to restart it and it’ll crank just fine but won’t start or catch. Figured it was just hot and let it cool down. Long story short I tried tracing the problem to the ignition system. I was getting plenty of fuel and air and without a spark tester I could tell how strong the spark was. I ended up replacing the spark control module (next to the throttle body), ignition module (back side of the distributor), cap and new rotor for the distributor. Also the fuel filter for good measure. Got it running again and let it idle for 15-20 and drove it. Drove fine at first but once I was idling in a parking lot it stalled. It stalled more like I had cut it off more then a typical stall (ie low fuel pressure). It cranked back up fine. Drove it back to my sisters and when it was giving me no trouble then I decided it was time to head home. Doing 65-70mph (which it’s done fine with) it again stalled. I’m gonna get it towed to one of my dealerships (I work for a network)

I’d still like some input and I’ve brainstormed as much as I can. Verified spark at number 1, fuel pressure coming from injectors and spray pattern. The last stall it again wouldn’t restart. Just crank until the key was turned from start to position 2. My only guess now is it’s ecm? Thoughts?

As an added note I’ve replaced fuel pumps and practically all the fuel lines going to the tbi and that was replaced about 6-7 months ago. As of now I believe the ignition system has been replaced within the last year (plugs, wires, cap and rotor and the two modules)

Last edited:

Poppy 87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Using a gauge I would verify fuel pressure. You may have a restriction or clogged fuel filter. Good luck

Yapay

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Using a gauge I would verify fuel pressure. You may have a restriction or clogged fuel filter. Good luck
I did replace it. Though with a duralast brand from auto zone. I had ordered an ACdelco last week which should come in tomorrow. But again I verified the pressure watching the injectors. I know I didn’t use the gauge.

Yapay

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
The fix ended up being the ignition relay inside the steering column. In case anyone else has the same issue. Once I figured out it wasn’t stalling but cutting off.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you for the update.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Wrong post.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Try the GMT 400 forum. I have a 1994 that's doing similar things and I have replaced everything. I know it's a 87 but they may be able to help. Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128