1987 Chevrolet V20 front leaf spring replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
You say you can't get one, that's why I said to loosen the jam nuts roll the bend to the bottom, tighten the jams and then push it up with a bottle jack. You'll have to do this a couple of times til you get it fairly straight cause it will spring back. This WILL work, I've done it more than a few times in the agricultural area where I live.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You say you can't get one, that's why I said to loosen the jam nuts roll the bend to the bottom, tighten the jams and then push it up with a bottle jack. You'll have to do this a couple of times til you get it fairly straight cause it will spring back. This WILL work, I've done it more than a few times in the agricultural area where I live.
Ingenious! Beats the hell out of my idea of a sledge hammer!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I don't know about ingenious, I'm just an old guy, who has been around the block more than once, and this has worked many times,...........I'm cheap, too......but NOT easy!!!!!.....lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for taking so long, been working. This is my current setup. The center tube center tie rod center whatever you want to call it is bent, doesn’t exist cant purchase a new one, I tried to show everything possible of it but it’s also dark outside being almost 10pm. The pictures are passenger side, middle from passenger side, drivers side, and middle from drivers side.
it looks bent\
im pretty sure I saw bucket one day say you can buy these but its pretty much if you have a long uninterupted kind you have to shell out since its HD or if you had one with ends that can come off it was not so bad but lower duty, I could be smoking crack about that so dont let me put words in his mouth lol

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Alright I reckon bottle jack straightening it is if I don’t source one local. But next question being, my wheels are already slightly facing away from each other so straightening it would push them even farther apart yes? I wonder if it has opposing threads like the drag link and rotating it will bring the wheels closer

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Alright I reckon bottle jack straightening it is if I don’t source one local. But next question being, my wheels are already slightly facing away from each other so straightening it would push them even farther apart yes? I wonder if it has opposing threads like the drag link and rotating it will bring the wheels closer
I am not sure the answer to that, but

from bucket:

"If you have a short tie rod, a short sleeve and a really long tie rod, then you have the 1".

If you have two short tie rods and a really long adjustment sleeve, then you have the 7/8"."
so i think you have a bad adjustment sleeve for 7/8 tie rod assembly, you could for less than 200 go to an HD Tie rod setup which apparently is what the two I have are i posted. The middle I am guessing is harder to find, since the applications were less HD than the other kind, maybe the idea was to have cheaper to assemble and cheaper to replace ends for people who wouldnt likely bend them. just a thought, no idea. The 1 inch bar can be found on rock auto. to me that bend looks bad enough fixing it means a pothole or something is gonna just do it again, maybe a different direction. I guess how are your roads/how do you use it? lol.

if you junkyard, an OEM HD 1 inch bar kind with a decent passenger side condition tie rod could be found possibly and then just a new driver end put on. but thats getting a nice puller to maintain the boot/not hurt the balljoint on the tie rod , possibly getting a new boot, and cutting or undoign the other sides sleeve to put a new sleeve and tie rod on when you can also just buy all 3 for not too bad... but the ideas about straightening seem to be serious replys and they have experience in such things, so if you want to pursue that, you just need it technically straight enough to maintain the proper toe with the adjustment you do have.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I would not very worried about the sleeve/rod then if you alreeady toe out. you mean facing away as in from straight on right? That doesnt seem like it should be possible with a rod bent and the given amount that you are supposed to be able to align it. Maybe its the wrong tie rod end?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I don’t want to straighten it lol I’ll use the sold long bar if I can acquire the right passenger side tie rod end and sleeve to hold them together. The part I ordered I didn’t pay attention was totally different(oops) and it is a larger diameter than my current tie rod end so I’d have to source another tie rod end for the passenger side.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
based on the description of the tie rods: If your 7/8 requires replacement in the center section, you can upgrade to the 1inch. [by using both ends and a sleeve for those 2]

Its worded weird but thats how I read it now looking back.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Yes the wheels are slightly \ /

| |
But in my mind I’m thinking a bent bar would pull them together since it’s overal length some would be lost to the bend. But also dad did the alignment on the truck after the wreck he used string lines and measurements.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I don’t want to straighten it lol I’ll use the sold long bar if I can acquire the right passenger side tie rod end and sleeve to hold them together. The part I ordered I didn’t pay attention was totally different(oops) and it is a larger diameter than my current tie rod end so I’d have to source another tie rod end for the passenger side.
the part you ordered is 1 inch? Then you only need 2 parts to complete that.

The 3 piece tie rod set of 1 inch is 1 long one with an end on it you cant replace, it attaches to the driver side of the truck, it has a hole for your stabilizer, then it spans across to the passenger side with a tie rod end thats short and then a sleeve. The one you have is a bar(adjuster) between 2 ends and they thread on it seems? with a jamb nut. Yes. Thats what it seems like. The bar must be hollow to a point with threads in it or just hollow across. So yours is 3 parts with hardware so I would call it 5 parts. (2 nuts)

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@AuroraGirl the 1” has the drivers side and the steering stabilizer and center section all as one piece? There aren’t two ends that connect the only connecting piece is the passenger side tie rod end. I need to source the passenger side end and am adjusting sleeve
Edit: I don’t know if it’s the 1”, I didn’t measure but the over all diameter of it is larger than my current tie rod ends, I held up my passenger side tie rod end(new one) to the long bar I have on hand and the end is smaller diameter.
Edit2: I just looked at the description and it’s called “Outer front drivers side tie rod end with 1”x18 threads”

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes the wheels are slightly \ /

| |
But in my mind I’m thinking a bent bar would pull them together since it’s overal length some would be lost to the bend. But also dad did the alignment on the truck after the wreck he used string lines and measurements.
The way I view the \ / is the front of the truck has them closer than the rear, as im using it like im looking at the truck. that would make sense with a bend.

If you meant the other way, then no offence but I would just say its wise to assume nothing you havent done is as certain as the existence of Idaho. Ive never met anyone from there, just saying

Ive met more people from Wyoming than Nebraska, but i still know people from nebraska.

Idaho? Im doubtful thats even on a map.. we must be vigilant.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl the 1” has the drivers side and the steering stabilizer and center section all as one piece? There aren’t two ends that connect the only connecting piece is the passenger side tie rod end. I need to source the passenger side end and am adjusting sleeve
Edit: I don’t know if it’s the 1”, I didn’t measure but the over all diameter of it is larger than my current tie rod ends, I held up my passenger side tie rod end(new one) to the long bar I have on hand and the end is smaller diameter.

@iamtherealJayy like this, this is what i think they are trying to get you to picture the whole sertup

also, note, mine is not a good thing to be like.
this is mine. see the driver side? Continuous to the passenger where it goes into a sleeve and then the short tie rod goes to the knuckle

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The front of the tires are facing away, drivers side straught and the passenger side taking an ever so slight right. Lol. All I’ve ever heard about Idaho is potatoes. I saw an Idaho license plate once… in Tennessee..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe