1985 305 mixture control solenoid wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Does anyone have a diagram for the mixture control solenoid? At some point the harness side plug half was removed and they just used small connectors on the ends to plug into the sensor side of the plug. I have what looks like a pink wire and a black wire. I need to make sure these are on the correct terminals.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just something I had in my Q-jet folder - not sure if is good info or not (but it sounds about right):

MC solenoid you can bench test very easily with no special tools. I do 2 tests on them:

1. At room temperature (not hot, not cold) unplug it and check for resistance between the 2 poles of the MC solenoid. Spec is about 20 Ohms. If it's significantly higher or lower, it's shot, regardless of whether it apparently works or not.

2. The solenoid is just an electro-magnet that operates on a full 12V of battery voltage (cycled by the ECM when the engine is running). You can run some temporary jumper wires over to it from the battery to do a simple field test. Every time you complete the circuit (polarity does not matter) you should hear a click (pulling the rods down). Every time you break the circuit again you should hear another click (the rods jumping back up). You should be able to click it up and down as fast as your little fingers can make and break the connection- it moves those rods REAL fast.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I'll try that tomorrow if I can pick up a ohm meter. I still have several tests to do on it but I'm fairly certain it's bad or not hooked up correctly. Runs very rich at idle. At least I finally got it to run half way decent with a spark plug change. I used what the PO supplied without checking to see if they were correct. I got he correct plugs and it's a completely different truck now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising