1978 K10 A/C Help Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nealdonoho

Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just purchased a 1978 Chevrolet K10 4wd with a 350 in it. It has the controls for A/C in the cab, BUT everything under the hood is gone. I want to install it back, but I'm not sure what I need and the cheapest place to find it. I'm confused too because I have seen both a short and long style compressor. It does have aftermarket headers if that matters at all, read that somewhere that it makes a difference??? I have no clue on what parts I need and I would like to do most of the work myself and have my local shop charge it. Can anyone help on this please?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Wiring diagram:

You must be registered for see images attach

The compressor you need will be determined by the style of bracketing that is on the engine. There are 2 basic designs; the A-6 (axial 6 pistons = the long type) or the R-4 (radial 4 pistons = the short/pancake style).

Most likely the bracketing will be set up for an A-6.

You must be registered for see images attach

It does have aftermarket headers if that matters at all, read that somewhere that it makes a difference???

Looks like there is a bracket that is bolted on to the stock maifold. Probably can be worked around to fit on your headers.
Compressor choices at Rockauto:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Last edited:

nealdonoho

Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks so much for the response! If I can modify a bracket, you are saying I could use either the A6 or R4 compressor, correct? Just wondering the pros and cons on going one way or the other.

nealdonoho

Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
By the way, where can I get a manual that has info like this and other things? I want to learn anything and everything about this particular truck and that has a lot of diagrams like the pics you sent.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
I have almost everything to flip one over. Do you have the box inside and outside for A/C? I have a new sanden compressor for vbelt with brackets and the bracket you need for the headers as well. I have the box that's on the outside of the firewall and some lines that need an end. You would need the condenser. I have an evaporator. I can make you a good deal. I'm not sure how much to ship. If interested pm me and I will send pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guillermoariast