15" rims on a k20 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Correct. I had a valve stem crack on me and the tire deflated. The outer bead slid right off. Luckily the truck was parted when it happened. Here's what the bead looks like on a 16.5" wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's called a "Drop Center" rim and they were on a few vehicles and then California decided to make them illegal for the very reason that if they get low and you take a turn, the bead can slide down into the valley and they instantly go flat.

It's fun until someone loses an eye ............... or head.

FWIW ---> I have always like Astro-style rims as they are steel and I don't have to shave anything to get them on any of my 4WD vehicles except my bastardized Chevy Trail Blazer which has it's own goofy 6-lug pattern.

At this time, I have 16s on it from a 2000 Chevy K20 pickup - with adapters though!

Yeah --- orange is the new black. I had to bore out the 2000 Chevy wheel inner hubs to get them over the '86 hubs. I did it on a drill press actually with (IIRC) a 3 1/4" hole saw.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
OK I will ask. WHY? highdesertranger
Maybe someone likes the look of 15" rims and doesn't want to put big ass goofy looking 17s or 18s on their truck, but doesn't feel comfortable using the 16.5s that have a bad rep as being less safe. Just saying.

That is literally the only reason I will never upgrade my truck to beefier axles, because I like my 15" rallyes and dont want to look at big ugly wheels. But I also don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to buy 16.5" tires. I don't care about "safety", I would have no problems monitoring my tire pressure, though I have to agree it's a crappy design.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
what's wrong with 16's. it's very hard to find a load range "E" 15 inch. they just don't make very many heavy duty 15's. highdesertranger

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I think sometimes people already have the tires and not wanting to buy a new set? Just my guess. I am not 100 % in that boat, only 25, lol. I had to buy one tire to get it out of the storage lot because the guy who had it before let it go flat and drug it enough to shred the sidewall so it wouldn't hold air. I was on a short schedule and didn't use market place back then so finding a 33 x 12.5/15 on short notice ended up netting me a general from discount and I think it cost around 260 mounted. Now it's just sitting in the driveway aging and losing about a pound of air every month or so, lol.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
my 1980 k25 and 1977 k25 frame would have brake fitment issues with 15. front and rear

Powderbullet

Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
I ordered a set of 15 in 8 hole rims from summit with 3 in backspacing. That's the part I'm not sure about but I guess when they get here I'll figure it out. they also make a set with 5-in backspacing but I didn't see that until after I had ordered the first set. Hope they don't rub the frame

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I ordered a set of 15 in 8 hole rims from summit with 3 in backspacing. That's the part I'm not sure about but I guess when they get here I'll figure it out. they also make a set with 5-in backspacing but I didn't see that until after I had ordered the first set. Hope they don't rub the frame

With a 5" backspace, there for sure would have been clearance issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k