12v cummins tranny options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350chevy85

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 TBI
I've decided to do swap a 12v cummins with p-pump into my 78 v20. i have the full dodge truck to swap everything but it is an auto(which is dieing) and want to make to a 5speed and was wondering what are decent options besides finding an nv4500, tried everywhere and still looking but its looking like $1600 tranny alone. Any help would be welcomed

lowcharacter

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Check out 4btswaps.com
They have a section just for tranny swaps to our Cummins. But there aren't many options for less than $1600. If you are set on a manual, the nv4500 is the best ticket.
Do you have a rh or re trans now? Those can be built bad ass for around the same money you would spend on the stick

350chevy85

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 TBI
To be honest I'm not exactly sure I'll have to check

lowcharacter

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Rh is the hydraulically controlled (no power train computer module)
Re is the electrically controlled (has more harness plugs in it)

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I did a nv4500 in my cummins swap and have never looked back, would I of liked a 4l80e yes! but they would be another thousand or so.

your best bet is to find a dodge ram 12v/nv4500 from the factory

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 heavy half (retired)
Engine Size
Though not asked, just for completeness - Automatic options are stick with a dodge and go 47RH (strongest hydraulic-only) or 48RE (a little stronger but requires electronics), the 47RE I see no benefit for (requires electronics but no stronger), or the 727 torqueflite which is no stronger than the 47RH and lacks overdrive. You could also go TH400 if only 3 speeds and no overdrive is good enough, or 4L80E using the adapter from the TH400, the adapter is used in the Frito Lay 4bt powered stepvans and used to be cheap but can be more expensive now I think because lots of people did that swap.

As to manuals for what you asked the NV4500 honestly is the best all around option - mainly because it will bolt right up to the cummins AFAIK since it came with it. You can spend $500 or more on adapters to make a cheaper transmission work for instance and you wont find comparably good transmissions for $1000 or less saving nothing. NV3500 is probably too weak, NV5600 is a 6 speed and costs even more - only advantage is it's 4th gear of 1.3ish being less of a step for when 1:1 direct is too steep in hills. Yet often not as strong.

Other 5 speeds (or 6 speeds) would all require expensive adapters - there are other transmissions that are probably about as strong i'd think, like the ZF5 or ZF6 usually used in fords (likely no cheaper for a ZF5 after you get a working adapter) or the G56's only used in dodges (would bolt up but $$ and again no better than a nv5600).

If you don't mind a 4 speed and 1:1 top gears you can probably get in for notably less but you'll still probably be spending $500 or more on a transmission adapter. :-/ It's mostly classics like the SM465 or something then, i'm not aware offhand of anything that will bolt to a cummins offhand, or has a cheaply available adapter. However I didn't look excessively long because I was pretty sure I wanted a 5 speed. (for a not yet done swap)

Another thing to consider is mounting difficulty - NV4500 came in both GM and Dodge, I don't 100% know if they bolt up exactly but i'd assume it's less work than fiddling with a Ford sourced ZF5. (the only other one i'd probably consider in a 5 speed)

350chevy85

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
v20
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thank you all lots of helpful info not exactly sure what im going to do yet but i have a sm465 in the truck originally i believe so if i can find the adaptor ill probably go with that then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcuriel512