10 bolt can't keep up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roy c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I broke a 10 bolt for the second time on my burb, I was wondering if a 14 bolt would be better , only thing is I have 6 lugs another thing are the 14 bolt wider than 10 bolt any plus or minus would be appreciated thanks roy

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Select GMT400s (1988-98) came with a 6 lug 14 bolt. But they are not a bolt in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, the 14 bolts are much stronger. You WILL NOT break one of those. You can go with the 14 bolt Full Floater, of the 14 bolt Semi Floater either one. Pic one from a 3/4 ton squarebody and it will bolt right in. 1 tons have a different spring perch distance so you'd need to move the spring perches and swap the shock brackets with a welder.

I've also been told if you go with the 14 bolt Semi Float, you can find axles and brake backing plates and all the brake assembly off a 4x4 GMT400 (88-98) Model truck that is 6 lug and convert your squarebody 8 lug to 6 lug that way. And it must be a 4x4 model, not a 2wd model cuz the 2wd GMT400 axles will be to short for the squarebody. The axle is wider on the 4x4's.

Then Retro is also correct. You can find a 14bolt Semi Float axle out of a GMT400 and have the spring perch pads moved and bolt it in. Again, the 4x4 unit will closer to the squarebody width. If you want to run the 2wd unit, it'll be narrower, but you might like that for the purpose of running a bigger wheel and tire. The difference isn't enough that would allow the tire to rub on the squarebody leaf spring. You're talking close to an inch narrower on each side.

Then, you also have the option to just keep the 8 lugs if you have the wheels, and then convert your front disks to 3/4 ton disks and have 8 lugs all the way around. It's an easy swap if you take everything from the knuckles on out. If you want to keep your same lock out hubs, they will also interchange to the 8 lug hub.

So I believe that is all of your options laid out. It's 2:30am and I'm doing this in my sleep just about, so if I fugged up, someone correct me.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Yes, the 14 bolts are much stronger. You WILL NOT break one of those. You can go with the 14 bolt Full Floater, of the 14 bolt Semi Floater either one. Pic one from a 3/4 ton squarebody and it will bolt right in. 1 tons have a different spring perch distance so you'd need to move the spring perches and swap the shock brackets with a welder.

I've also been told if you go with the 14 bolt Semi Float, you can find axles and brake backing plates and all the brake assembly off a 4x4 GMT400 (88-98) Model truck that is 6 lug and convert your squarebody 8 lug to 6 lug that way. And it must be a 4x4 model, not a 2wd model cuz the 2wd GMT400 axles will be to short for the squarebody. The axle is wider on the 4x4's.

Then Retro is also correct. You can find a 14bolt Semi Float axle out of a GMT400 and have the spring perch pads moved and bolt it in. Again, the 4x4 unit will closer to the squarebody width. If you want to run the 2wd unit, it'll be narrower, but you might like that for the purpose of running a bigger wheel and tire. The difference isn't enough that would allow the tire to rub on the squarebody leaf spring. You're talking close to an inch narrower on each side.

Then, you also have the option to just keep the 8 lugs if you have the wheels, and then convert your front disks to 3/4 ton disks and have 8 lugs all the way around. It's an easy swap if you take everything from the knuckles on out. If you want to keep your same lock out hubs, they will also interchange to the 8 lug hub.

So I believe that is all of your options laid out. It's 2:30am and I'm doing this in my sleep just about, so if I fugged up, someone correct me.

i agree with both of ya's?

but WHAT BROKE?? spiders? side gears? shafts?

that would be like me SAYIN,,,,,,,,, i BLEW UP MY TRUCK yesterday,, can ya guys help me ??????????

:winner_third_h4h:

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
i agree with both of ya's?

but WHAT BROKE?? spiders? side gears? shafts?

that would be like me SAYIN,,,,,,,,, i BLEW UP MY TRUCK yesterday,, can ya guys help me ??????????

:winner_third_h4h:

i tryed to edit my comments with a book typed out from doing slick rock and bad assed !!! you are going to break your truck places to go in utah,, and nothing happened....to my truck with a 10.5.....

sad **** there,, rocky trail's and alot of broke ****......but never a 10.5........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello