While the Engines out on a stand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My 350 is out on an engine stand and I was wondering if it could be bad for anything internally or fluids to flip it over upside down to replace the oil pan gasket? The intake, pulleys, water pump, timing, cover, is all off, but the heads are still on.

Also, I finally plan to put it all back together by sunday an fire it up so any tips would be appreciated for anything I should do before its back in and I go for the first crank in awhile.

Should I worry about flushing the coolant in the block while its on the stand, or priming the oil pump. Its been out for about 2 months being painted an a few upgrades. (Pics will follow soon)

Thanks..

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Remove the oil pan while the engine is in the upright position otherwise all the crud and shavings are gonna drop onto your rotating assembly VERY BAD!!!

After the oil pan is removed you can rotate the engine upside down to reinstall your cleaned oil pan.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok great.. Already drained all the oil and cleaned the pan real good.. Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Have rags or something handy, coolant will probably come spilling out when you rotate the motor.

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What about priming the oil pump before i start it? Its been out a about 2-3 months. Will that hurt anything?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Leave the coil unhook and plugs out and crank it for about 30 seconds to a minute. If you have an oil pressure gauge you should see pressure register but I would crank it some more to be sure everything is pumped up. That is unless you have the priming tool or a modified old distributor to prime it with. Then you leave a valve cover off and just verify you have oil at the rockers.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Install new valve stem seals too, while they are real handy like.
A six foot piece of 1/8th" nylon rope, bring a cylinder onto the bottom of the intake stroke, shove the nylon rope into the cylinder, crank it over by hand until there is resistance. Remove the valve spring retainers, replace the seal, put the retainers back on, move to the next cylinder in the firing order.
New rear main cranking shaft seal too.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Install new valve stem seals too, while they are real handy like.
A six foot piece of 1/8th" nylon rope, bring a cylinder onto the bottom of the intake stroke, shove the nylon rope into the cylinder, crank it over by hand until there is resistance. Remove the valve spring retainers, replace the seal, put the retainers back on, move to the next cylinder in the firing order.
New rear main cranking shaft seal too.

pressurizing the cylender does the same thing haha

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
pressurizing the cylender does the same thing haha

Ever have a valve pop open on You, while the cylinder is pressurized. HA :emotions33: :happy175:
Almost impossible to keep the piston on top, always wants to blow to the bottom of the hole.
A friend was using air, popped the keepers loose, for some reason the valve popped open, ooooops. :popcorn:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Ever have a valve pop open on You, while the cylinder is pressurized. HA :emotions33: :happy175:
Almost impossible to keep the piston on top, always wants to blow to the bottom of the hole.
A friend was using air, popped the keepers loose, for some reason the valve popped open, ooooops. :popcorn:

nope, and i changed all 16 in my 355. but the heads were fresh, so i guess they probly sealed better then non fresh

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The engine stand is the perfect time to make it all nice and shiny! New paint:)

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
nope, and i changed all 16 in my 355. but the heads were fresh, so i guess they probly sealed better then non fresh

A lot of people do`nt have a compressor so, I always throw out the O~L rope trick. LOL
I have a good compressor but, it seems that the rope in the hole works quite well. "Always remove the neg. battery cable though."

garzas23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Got it kinda shiny now.. Painted it gloss black and installed most of the bolt ons.. Hopefully will be dropping it in next weekend.. I'll have a better post an more pics soon with the details.. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 56

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got it kinda shiny now.. Painted it gloss black and installed most of the bolt ons.. Hopefully will be dropping it in next weekend.. I'll have a better post an more pics soon with the details.. Thanks everyone!

That looks awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't use the battery and starter to prime the motor. Pickup a cheap priming tool for a drill and use that method instead.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85