What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305
You may be able to get it. 2023 was not a great year for my health…unless your an optimist (like me) and say that I’m fortunate to still be alive. I have two of those 74 Z cars; the one in the pic is a low mileage, all original and intact that was parked in 86. The other is a gutted and caged race car…it is actually an LT/Z28 though. It is a very desirable car when fixed but unfortunately all the goodies that make it both a Type LT and Z28 are all gone.
I’m going to see how I bounce back from this broken neck of mine and see how well I can wrench. I will probably part with some of my project vehicles as I can already see the writing on the wall.

HS
Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up well enough to get back to what we all love to do. Distance and the fact that I already have a 73Z and two 86 Squares and no more space would keep me from picking it up anyway. My first Camaro was a 74 LT with a 350 4spd. Loved that car. Saginaw transmission did not love me though. Fatty's and skinnies FTW. Take care.

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
I've seen this thread on several other forums and it's usually a good one and is good for posting up those little things that may not really belong in a build thread but just to make mention of :D

Lately I've driven her a little bit (she loves the heat!). I'm getting ready to do some little things to her pretty soon, though. The comp/temp mirror mod should be accomplished in the next week or so. I've also got a couple of small custom touches in mind but those will remain a secret for now :secret: Should turn out looking nice, though :)
Here a but a few of the "custom" items I have done on my 87 burb. I made new door pulls from aluminum flat bar and reused the chrome covers, cleaned up a steering wheel from a 94 Jimmy and installed, modified an overhead console from a 2001 Astro van to fit and also replaced the old bench seat with fully automated seats from a 2007 Yukon. The seats took some floor pan and support modifications as well as adding new electrical fuse box for new center console and seat electrical.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0131.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0131.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 32
  • thumbnail_IMG_0142.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0142.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 31
  • thumbnail_IMG_0141.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0141.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 31

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
I've seen this thread on several other forums and it's usually a good one and is good for posting up those little things that may not really belong in a build thread but just to make mention of :D

Lately I've driven her a little bit (she loves the heat!). I'm getting ready to do some little things to her pretty soon, though. The comp/temp mirror mod should be accomplished in the next week or so. I've also got a couple of small custom touches in mind but those will remain a secret for now :secret: Should turn out looking nice, though :)
Here is my current "mod". After many years of running squarebodies, I have always preferred card vs. TBI. My 87 GMC Sierra Classic is TBI and I am in the process of swapping it out to carb. This is not my first one I swapped and it is time consuming. The bad thing is that I rebuilt my motor last year with TBI but soon realized that I wanted to go carb. Anyone doing this, I would recommend not to hack out the TBI harness or connectors. I have mine sealed up in header wrap and tucked away. Here is a pic of my motor I rebuilt with the TBI last year and a couple pics of the same motor in the truck last weekend after I did the TBI to carb swap. Disregard some of the incorrect vacuum lines, that my older son thinking he was helping me out.:)
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4111.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4111.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 21

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model

One last post on this thread for today: I reupholstered my old headliner and as we all know the old cardboard liner backings are almost always warped and distorted. I ended up picking up several of the center "divider bars" in order to get it all tucked up and back into the original shape. need to scroll up on pic as it is not all that great. I also replaced my sun visors with ones from a 2015 F250 that matched the material and had "make up" mirror with lights and new map/overhead lights from the same Astro van that I took the overhead console from.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1544.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1544.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 29

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Here is my current "mod". After many years of running squarebodies, I have always preferred card vs. TBI. My 87 GMC Sierra Classic is TBI and I am in the process of swapping it out to carb. This is not my first one I swapped and it is time consuming. The bad thing is that I rebuilt my motor last year with TBI but soon realized that I wanted to go carb. Anyone doing this, I would recommend not to hack out the TBI harness or connectors. I have mine sealed up in header wrap and tucked away. Here is a pic of my motor I rebuilt with the TBI last year and a couple pics of the same motor in the truck last weekend after I did the TBI to carb swap. Disregard some of the incorrect vacuum lines, that my older son thinking he was helping me out.:)
I could use that creeper about now. Doing intake gaskets lol

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
One last post on this thread for today: I reupholstered my old headliner and as we all know the old cardboard liner backings are almost always warped and distorted. I ended up picking up several of the center "divider bars" in order to get it all tucked up and back into the original shape. need to scroll up on pic as it is not all that great. I also replaced my sun visors with ones from a 2015 F250 that matched the material and had "make up" mirror with lights and new map/overhead lights from the same Astro van that I took the overhead console from.
Dad redid the headliner in our '79 and '84 Burbs, with some thin, moldable carpet he found in rolls at Walmart. IIRC (it's been awhile) they were about 2' wide, maybe 2 1/2' wide, so we gathered up some extra divider bars and cleaned them up, repainted to match the carpet. I think the finished product had three bars altogether, so maybe the carpet was closer to 3' wide. But he cleaned the cardboard piece, and sprayed it with 3M trim cement (took several cans) and it came out looking really nice. Unfortunately I have no pictures.....
That center divider bar is primarily to cover the seam between the front and rear pieces of the headliner and the cardboard backing, and to support the seam. The front part is the same (or very similar) as the crew cab, while the rear is Burb specific.

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Here a but a few of the "custom" items I have done on my 87 burb. I made new door pulls from aluminum flat bar and reused the chrome covers, cleaned up a steering wheel from a 94 Jimmy and installed, modified an overhead console from a 2001 Astro van to fit and also replaced the old bench seat with fully automated seats from a 2007 Yukon. The seats took some floor pan and support modifications as well as adding new electrical fuse box for new center console and seat electrical.
That's some nice mods. Especially like the roof console.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I could use that creeper about now. Doing intake gaskets lol

I recently did the intake gaskets in my '00 van. That was a nice change of pace... half the job was done while sitting on my a$$, lol.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
For once instead of finding out the hard way, I did some reading first! Found out my tunnel ram won't work with my current HEI Olds distributor---I need a small diameter distributor, so a new HEI will be purchased soon.

In the meantime, I decided I want to run some old fashioned air cleaners, I also love Flathead V8's so I figured I'll convert a couple Flathead oil baths to filter, and use them. I think it will look nice!!

The other idea was to get another 55 Caddy air cleaner, cut and mend them together with a common oval filter, but I just dig the Flathead oil baths.

As for wrenching tonight, I said screw it, decided a cold one and a cigar was long overdue, so I'm relaxing.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For once instead of finding out the hard way, I did some reading first! Found out my tunnel ram won't work with my current HEI Olds distributor---I need a small diameter distributor, so a new HEI will be purchased soon.

In the meantime, I decided I want to run some old fashioned air cleaners, I also love Flathead V8's so I figured I'll convert a couple Flathead oil baths to filter, and use them. I think it will look nice!!

The other idea was to get another 55 Caddy air cleaner, cut and mend them together with a common oval filter, but I just dig the Flathead oil baths.

As for wrenching tonight, I said screw it, decided a cold one and a cigar was long overdue, so I'm relaxing.

Follow your vision. I like the cigar holder.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve

I Love the oil bath

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size

Lots of those Caddy/Olds air cleaners out there. Never seen modified oil baths, but a pair on dual quads would be really different and IMO very cool.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76