What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
How did you get my door panel off my truck without me knowing it? Seriously, though, mine looks just like that, chalky, crumbly, faded, and in need of tlc.
Oh no sir. These are of most pristine condition!

HS

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pinching pennies here. I’m working on 79-80 door panels and the dash pad from a 91 Sub. Maybe they’ll be worth putting into the 82 K1500 when I’m done.
You must be registered for see images attach
Nothing like playing twister and applying fiberglass in an empty classroom. How does twister work out with 1 person and a dash pad?

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Did a bunch of little stuff. Got the AFR gauge hooked up and dialed in the APT adjustment. Got some richer secondary rods, but I need to adjust the hanger up to get that dialed in under full throttle. Might not mess with it too much more, since after I got the new intake on I developed a pretty solid tapping/knocking sound from the passenger bank. I was worried I had spud a rod bearing somehow, even though it shows great oil pressure.

Well, pulled the oil pan and took all the rod caps off... all the bearings look beautiful. No wear and nothing spun. Oil looked good and no material in the pan.

My only conclusion at this point is that the Comp lifters have $hit the bed after about a year and probably 5-8,000 miles. It seems to be still drivable, but I guess this is my wakeup that I need to fix the Honda sooner rather than later so I have something to drive while I get the interior/seats and new motor/trans swapped into the squarebody.
Update on this... I did some more tinkering this weekend. Pulled the valve cover and fired it up with some of the clip-on oil deflectors on it to keep from making a mess. Found everything moving as it should, with two rockers a little side-to-side wobbly and noisy. No metal anywhere though.. so I decided to just do the "running adjustment" and turn the nut until it stopped making noise. Took a half turn and stopped clacking, so gave them another half turn and put the valve cover back on. No more lifter noise!

Looks like I might have a lock nut going bad, so if the noise comes back I'll put a new one on the offending stud.

I also did some more fine tuning on the carb and got the idle and cruise AFR's looking very good. 14.7:1-ish at idle and decel and 15.5-16:1 at cruise. I think I can actually still put some more vacuum advance in(I have an adjustable vacuum advance can on the distributor) and lean it out even more in cruise. Partial power acceleration is around 13.5:1 and I have been messing with the secondary hanger height to get the full throttle AFR's dialed in. I adjusted the hanger height to be 42/64" with the secondaries opened and it was sitting around 12:1 at full throttle. It felt good, but that's still a bit too rich, so I lowered it to around 40/64" and it now runs about 13.5:1 at full throttle, which is too lean for PE. I'll try some more fine tuning tonight and see if I can get it just right, but man those secondaries are sensitive to hanger height.

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Hello Big Ray. I hope all is well.

I am sure All the GMSB Buddies are hoping for a full and speedy recovery Big Ray!

Prayers for her, you, and all of your loved ones always!

Be well and stay safe out there.

Dryriver1
Thank you, we'll take all the prayers we can get!

Big Ray

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Changed the oil in my K5 Friday
Discovered what I believed to be a np203 is in fact a np205! Yay!
Never rellay thought about it due to the "FULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE" label on the sun visor!
Glad I haven't try to wheel with it yet...lol

Anyways, runs better after the oil change, as a chevy should! Lol

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Why didn't you pull the plugs?
I did pull the plugs but I left all the belts on so the power steering, alternator and water pump were also rotating. As the valves were adjusting properly, it got more difficult to rotate as we would expect. Maybe the GM hot cam also increases cylinder pressures?

Last edited:

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Nothing like playing twister and applying fiberglass in an empty classroom. How does twister work out with 1 person and a dash pad?
So, my brothers & I divided up my dad's stuff earlier this year. I have his old 55 & his 79 Crew so I was able to get all the spare parts. He had a bunch of door handles, the "3+3" emblems & other stuff in the twister box. Where he got the box I'll never know...

HS

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
How big do you need, I was going to just build an oven using temperature controls,and heating elements from used household ovens and cinder block or 55 gallon drum depending on what I was doing. Something like this with a grate an oven element and wires to hang the parts.
I've seen people use metal cabinets, double stack ovens or just use foam board. I'd like to have one big enough tou do axles, or steering links in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76