What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I can believe the time and patience part, but if you had the money for an '07 you had money to maintain the square.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I understand all three reasons, mine has done nothing but require attention for some stupid reason and has just dollared me to death, every day it's something different that can only be band aided because of time or money, my patience has about run out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I understand all three reasons, mine has done nothing but require attention for some stupid reason and has just dollared me to death, every day it's something different that can only be band aided because of time or money, my patience has about run out

Exactly. They are not bad trucks, they are just really old at this point. Things break over time, even if it's well built.

As my only vehicle, I need it to start when I turn the key, every single time, and get me where I'm going.

I don't need a project - I need a reliable daily driver. Is the Colorado going to last 32 years? NO! But that doesn't matter me to right now. I need to be able to commute to work and meet my clients.

And yes, I have to make a payment and insurance is expensive too but it has the capability of making me a lot more money which makes that irrelevant.

For financial reasons I have to sell the square. Otherwise I would totally keep it as a secondary vehicle and give it the attention and work it deserves. But that's not going to happen anytime soon so it better go to somebody who can do that.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Mine too, my gfs schedule and mine overlap so we can't share a car, luckily only 6 more months and I can put it in the barn and let it think about breaking again

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I think my plan is too just focus on making the payments on the Colorado for now. When I have spare time/money I'll sort out the paperwork issues on my 98 K1500 and fix the mechanical aspects of that as well, and build that out how I like it.

Once that's done, in a year or two, I'll get another square - I'll take the time to find one exactly how I want it. A crew cab one ton is what I'm going for - definitely not one with a carburetor so probably 87+. I know TBI is no saint but I never want anything with a carburetor ever again - that's what I've learned from this truck :D

In the mean time I'll still read here and occasionally post here because this forum is one of the most friendly forums on the internet. The ratio of passionate people to trolls/drama is incredibly good!

Last edited:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Exactly. They are not bad trucks, they are just really old at this point. Things break over time, even if it's well built.

As my only vehicle, I need it to start when I turn the key, every single time, and get me where I'm going.

I don't need a project - I need a reliable daily driver
. Is the Colorado going to last 32 years? NO! But that doesn't matter me to right now. I need to be able to commute to work and meet my clients.

And yes, I have to make a payment and insurance is expensive too but it has the capability of making me a lot more money which makes that irrelevant.

For financial reasons I have to sell the square. Otherwise I would totally keep it as a secondary vehicle and give it the attention and work it deserves. But that's not going to happen anytime soon so it better go to somebody who can do that.

I can understand this concept completely. I parked mine in 1992 because I was working two jobs and I had to have reliable transportation. I parked the old girl out in the back yard and bought a brand new S10 to drive. The truck was a daily driver up to that day. It was only driven 3 times after I parked it and those were within a 2 week spell of heavy snow. I just did not have the time to fix it or work on it.

I kept the old truck in the back yard all of these years. My son has grown up mowing and weed eating around it. We got it started last July. I really didn't think it would start but it did. Since that day my son has wanted to drive it really bad. It is an old hot rod to him. Well to me too I guess.

In any event it gives us something to work on. He has learned quite a lot from working on the old girl. He is taking auto repair in High school starting this fall. I think he will be ahead of the game in some aspects.:)

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Been at it for two years...its wore me and my wallet out

I hear you on that. I have over $20000 spent on my truck BEFORE I parked it. I went through 4 engines, 3 transmissions, 10 starters, lift kit, tires, ujoints etc. BUT it was FUN back in the day.:) I have them all in a manila envelope. Yeah I probably should have been a little easier on it back then. That number includes my purchase price of $5500 back in 1983-1984. Somewhere back then. Anyways a long time ago.

I have a new manila envelope started since we got it started last year. Boy is it starting to get thick...

Guys it is a labor of love. When I first laid eyes on my truck, that was it I had to have it. I have kept it ever since. It has been around longer than my wife and son. I don't think I could let it go. Just sayin.

Last edited:

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
So anyways since my son is at 4-H camp this week, ole dad decided to pick up something new for the truck.:) I think he is going to like it. I also think the coolness factor of the old truck just went way up. I don't think it will make it go faster but it looks pretty cool - at least to me.:) BTW- the thread size is 7/16-20 for anyone that is wondering.

Attachments

• IMG_6943.jpg
    IMG_6943.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 110

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Went to leave for work this morning at 4:30 and turned over, didn't start, second attempt, lost all power, don't care, took gmt400 to work, not feelin the fixing **** mood this week lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli