What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What do you do with the RTV on your rear main bearing cap? The B&M pans are the best bang for your buck although I believe the TRP cast aluminum finned ones can be had for less then a $100 but the deep sump pans from TRP do not come with extension tubes as far as I know only the B&M pans do.

Because the bearing cap surfaces where they mate to the block are not flat by any means they suggest putting a very thin film of rtv in this area to help prevent oil leaks.

You must be registered for see images

datto62073

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Picked up some 16 inch wheels with decent but mismatched tires. At least with these I can get tires for them. If the tires last a year, I'll be happy.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
finished garage aligning after installing all new tierod ends, flushing the power steering with real power steering fluid rather than nasty ATF that was in it, test drove.

front right brake is definitly dragging, maybe that is why it pulls left and i only get 11.5mpg........good thing that will be coming off next week so i can do ball joints.

truck has to get out of the garage so i can put new wheel bearings on our jetta tomorrow.

You might have a partially collapsed rubber brake line. They're not real expensive. Plan on changing both hoses when you do your caliper replacement.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
PEOPLE when you put on a oil filter.. it only needs to be hand tight with MAYBE .. just MAYBE 1/4 turn if that.

The sheer amount of strength and tools and cursing I had to do to remove the old oil filter was ABSOLUTELY insane.

But with that said its off.. new tranny pan, new rear main seal, and 3/4 of the old oil pan gasket off.

That white crap is falling right now.. not enough to worry about, but its reminding me time is running thin.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
When I come to an over tightened oil filter I just stake a thick in long flat head through it :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When I come to an over tightened oil filter I just stake a thick in long flat head through it :)

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Yeah I did that and guess what happened? It just ripped open the oil filter lol. It took my 16" prybar and some creative denting of the oil filter to get it off.

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban, K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7L
Well today I changed my steering wheel on my suburban, added the last piece I needed for the factory air intake, and added the reel light back into the engine compartment.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
PEOPLE when you put on a oil filter.. it only needs to be hand tight with MAYBE .. just MAYBE 1/4 turn if that.

The sheer amount of strength and tools and cursing I had to do to remove the old oil filter was ABSOLUTELY insane.

But with that said its off.. new tranny pan, new rear main seal, and 3/4 of the old oil pan gasket off.

That white crap is falling right now.. not enough to worry about, but its reminding me time is running thin.

I'm a firm believer in that 1/4 turn after hand tight. I actually have done hand tight before and had one back off, dropped the filter, lost all the oil in short order. Luckily saved the motor cuz I had big red idiots lights that went off as soon as the pressure got low. It was a high volume pump in a street/strip motor. But yes, filters can back off. However, no reason whatsoever to go past that 1/4 turn past hand tight.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well today I changed my steering wheel on my suburban, added the last piece I needed for the factory air intake, and added the reel light back into the engine compartment.

Those reel lights damn sure come in handy. Great update. :waytogo:

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

Turn til seal touches then 1/4 to 1/2 turn
Never have a problem with getting them off

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have ripped some of the CAT filters in half trying to get them off some of our peterbuilts. The dipshits at the petro must like to see how tight they can get them, just to mess with the next guy. My mom had a dodge nitro that the filter used to loosen up on. No matter how tight you got it, it would back off and leak oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobra20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hans
Truck Year
1991, 1974
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban, K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7L