What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I finally got my bearing-spun engine replaced (with another SBC from a '73 C20. My mechanic finally got the time and space to do the swap. But my old, incredibly crappy exhaust pipes did not meet up to the replacement manifolds, so he lashed the pipes up to the frame, and I drove with esseentially open manifolds for a bit.

I finally bit the bullet and paid a shop up by work to pipe from iron manifolds back to my existing mufflers and dual tailpipes. Ouch $$$ but it was done in half a day.

Holy zot what a difference. My old pipes came with horrible welds and leaks. This is a whole new vehicle. I can hear ... OTHER CARS' EXHAUST at lights. What't that noise? Oh, my radiator fan wooshing...

Yet, despite the new pipes tucking higher because I installed a bat-wing trans x-member, I still bottom out on freeways!

Old exhaust pics

You must be registered for see images attach

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I finally got my bearing-spun engine replaced (with another SBC from a '73 C20. My mechanic finally got the time and space to do the swap. But my old, incredibly crappy exhaust pipes did not meet up to the replacement manifolds, so he lashed the pipes up to the frame, and I drove with esseentially open manifolds for a bit.

I finally bit the bullet and paid a shop up by work to pipe from iron manifolds back to my existing mufflers and dual tailpipes. Ouch $$$ but it was done in half a day.

Holy zot what a difference. My old pipes came with horrible welds and leaks. This is a whole new vehicle. I can hear ... OTHER CARS' EXHAUST at lights. What't that noise? Oh, my radiator fan wooshing...

Yet, despite the new pipes tucking higher because I installed a bat-wing trans x-member, I still bottom out on freeways!

Old exhaust pics

I remember when I had the 454 put it I drove it home with open hedders until I could get it to the muffler shop. It was loud but fun. Lol

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

Old exhaust pics

Pics of new install?

Did they custom bend, or get a kit? Stainless?

Not that I can drive my truck all the way to you, but I'd like to find a shop that can duplicate my factory pipes in stainless. These Walker things just don't last.

brooksman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado & Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 & 305

How much time did that take? Where all the paint dust?

Spent a couple of hours on the door and it does make a mess. I was working outside until the rain began. These are the ones I bought last.

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
This past weekend I finally rebuilt the rear brakes from the wheel cylinders out with all new components. Hit the new drums with some BBQ black too. Also, finally glued in the foil backed insulation over my aluminum backed Vibro mat layer. This weekend I should be getting the seat back together and installed along with the AC Ducting. Just waiting on ScrewSA1 to ship my dye for the dash. Only been two weeks so far, guess they'll get around to it...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
That's better. I would agree it looks better with the trim, that is if you like the trim, but I don't lol. That paint is FRESH under there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I remember when I had the 454 put it I drove it home with open hedders until I could get it to the muffler shop. It was loud but fun. Lol

I think I drove mine for about a week with open headers, lol.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Messing with peripherals until its warm enough out to paint. Finally got all the new parking brake cables installed. Once in, they rubbed against one of my rear sway brackets, so modded a couple of insulated cable straps and made it so the cables wont touch anything. Next up is finishing the spare tire cage.

Before/after:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This past weekend I finally rebuilt the rear brakes from the wheel cylinders out with all new components. Hit the new drums with some BBQ black too. Also, finally glued in the foil backed insulation over my aluminum backed Vibro mat layer. This weekend I should be getting the seat back together and installed along with the AC Ducting. Just waiting on ScrewSA1 to ship my dye for the dash. Only been two weeks so far, guess they'll get around to it...
Hey nice color truck!

I replaced 3 more light bulbs. Now the turn signals match and the courtesy light and the dope light work!
(I thought maybe there was an issue with the interior lights as neither bulb “looked” blown. After confirming and testing that all the wiring looked and functioned like it did in 1977, I deduced bad light bulbs the hard way. Don’t wanna just throw parts at it ya know! Lol

williestreet

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
After discovering my G80 locker had broke I finally finished up the rear axle with a replacement open diff. I haven't setup a rear end before, but it wasn't terrible after getting some tools and making a couple of setup bearings.
The rear had a lot of metal in it as the broken G80 locker teeth got ground to a nice fine paste.
Had to get a second crush sleeve when I went a bit too far and ended up with too much preload on the pinion bearings. A few other mistakes but overall it went well.

Was a bit concerned before , but after having the diff in and out many times I am glad I tried it myself and next time I won't be too worried about a job like this.
New brakes, cables and some more items on the rear. Finally got the truck back on the ground tonight and out around the subdivision for a test drive.

Next is a new seal on the power steering gearbox and the return hose. The cab mounts need some work as well.

Attachments

• 6B45C402-3C32-425C-94A1-45C7F9C9F11C.jpeg
    6B45C402-3C32-425C-94A1-45C7F9C9F11C.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 70B5A1A9-0B64-47B1-AE9B-4B5F219203E5.jpeg
    70B5A1A9-0B64-47B1-AE9B-4B5F219203E5.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 9
  • C0D69965-17E4-4559-9356-150F2363BCB4_1_201_a.jpeg
    C0D69965-17E4-4559-9356-150F2363BCB4_1_201_a.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 8

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
@TotalyHucked I know you mentioned inner fenders produced at AMD now on here for someone needing them but I cannot recall what thread. In the last GM Scene I saw the spot in the new products section and scanned the QR code. Looks reasonable $45 per fender and ~$50 oversize shipping fee (to where I am). I would like to replace both inner Fenders eventually but the drivers side first. I have a rust spot just on the seam. Would the AMD re-pop cover this spot or do I need to get other parts for this. I did see a lower fender piece that was recommeneded with the inner fender. See attached pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising