Well crap! Wife in a Car Accident.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Lucky for me, of course I have tow buddies. They wrote me the tow bill to collect on and it was really a fair bill. Of course my buddy wouldn't charge me, but since insurance was paying, and he has the exact car like mine on his impound lot that's been sitting there for months unclaimed, He's selling me the car for the tow bill I collected, then when I get all my parts off this car, I'll take it over the scale and get my money back. It's a car exactly like mine with exception, it's white instead of Silver, and it doesn't have power locks, windows and mirrors that mine has. So the front clip will bolt right on. He does not have a key to this car since it was a Private Property Impound. I'm anxious to get a key in the thing or jump the ignition wires since it doesn't have a transponder key or security system to where I can see the mileage and maybe even fire it up to see how it runs. I might even have a spare engine and transmission.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife was at fault. Her first at fault with her only other accident being the fault of the deer.
So...who was at fault and cited for this accident?

What year model is this car? If no air bags deployed, I do not think this is totalled at all. $36K retail msrp and only 32,000 miles, Toyotas hold their value very well unlike a KIA, I have a feeling that car is not totalled. Just a rough guestimate by looks, I'm going to guess repair to be between $9,000 and $10,000 to fully repair that.

The car is a 2015. To me the car is not a total due to damage or I probably would not be considering keeping the car and putting it back on the road. The car is being totaled because of the high cost of parts and the replacement of parts that can easily be repaired rather than replaced. Even though the only Toyota parts being estimated are ones not available in the aftermarket the parts and labor bill was $11,200 with only one frame rail being replaced. I wasn’t pushing for a total, it has been the insurance company making the decision on their own. If I am going to own a car that has been wrecked and repaired, I think that a total works out best for me.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky for me, of course I have tow buddies. They wrote me the tow bill to collect on and it was really a fair bill. Of course my buddy wouldn't charge me, but since insurance was paying, and he has the exact car like mine on his impound lot that's been sitting there for months unclaimed, He's selling me the car for the tow bill I collected, then when I get all my parts off this car, I'll take it over the scale and get my money back. It's a car exactly like mine with exception, it's white instead of Silver, and it doesn't have power locks, windows and mirrors that mine has. So the front clip will bolt right on. He does not have a key to this car since it was a Private Property Impound. I'm anxious to get a key in the thing or jump the ignition wires since it doesn't have a transponder key or security system to where I can see the mileage and maybe even fire it up to see how it runs. I might even have a spare engine and transmission.

Now that’s some cheap parts! I’ve had a thought that I would like to convert the headlights on the Camry to leds. They were a option on SE models but not on Hybrids. I would have to find them used on a t bone or rear hit to even be feasible. The other issue I’m afraid may kick the whole idea is the wiring harness differences.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
So much for the car. How are y'all doing? Fine and on the mend I hope.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So much for the car. How are y'all doing? Fine and on the mend I hope.

Oh yes, no one was hurt, I wasn’t with my wife when it happened but she said it was a very low speed impact, her words, “I almost got stopped!”. The occupants in the second car were ok though they were going to transport themselves to the next town to be checked out. All in all the best outcome you can have in an accident I suppose.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got a settlement number with the insurance company that we both can live with. $2000.00 higher than their initial offer. They use a JD Power program to do value comparisons of similar vehicles in the market area. It was poorly executed in my opinion and had to make my case numerous times. I think the value was still a little low but sometimes it’s not worth it to try and squeeze every last dime out of them. The car will be paid off and I will have enough to repair the car with maybe a manageable out of pocket cost.

About the he best outcome I could have hoped for und r the circumstances.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Finally got a serrlemeunt number with the insurance company that we both can live with. $2000.00 higher than their initial offer. They use a JD Power program to do value comparisons of similar vehicles in the market area. It was poorly executed in my opinion and had to make my case numerous times. I think the value was still a little low but sometimes it’s not worth it to try and squeeze every last dime out of them. The car will be paid off and I will have enough to repair the car with maybe a manageable out of pocket cost.

About the he best outcome I could have hoped for und r the circumstances.
That’s cool I suppose. Anytime you can walk away from dealing with an insurance company with out a sore ass, figuratively speaking, it’s all good.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The only bad part on that deal is that because it's under 10 years old and it's a total loss, now it has to have a salvage title and the value is only half in the event it get's into another accident. Forever marked on CarFax too. So if you fix it, just plan on driving the wheels off of it. If you want a new car, just pass that one onto a family member cuz you won't didly for a trade in on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Since we're talking car accidents, I'll ride this thread with mine too. I finally got mine settled last week for the 2nd accident in less than 3 months.

November 13th a girl made a U turn in front of me across my lane and I nailed her with my right front in her driver side doors. Farmers paid me $2200 and I kept it. Feb 5th a lady made a right on red right as I'm going through the intersection at 45 with a green as green can be. I went to the left trying to avoid her but couldn't go all the way into the next lane because another car was there, so I got her left rear wheel with my right front. Car wasn't repaired yet from the first wreck in November, but this accident made that damage a little worse and I didn't think I'd keep it. After close examination and not of the rails were damages, it's all exterior sheet metal damage and the core support. This insurance co paid me $2147 for the car and I kept it, plus a tow bill of $220. I gave $300 to my tow buddy that has a car exactly like mine less the color, power locks, windows and mirrors that he impounded and was unclaimed without a key. I just got that car home today since my buddy brought it to the house at no charge. I just now hot wired it at the ignition since it's not a transponder key. Took some doing but I got to fire up. Motor sounds great. To bad I can't take it for a drive. The steering wheel is locked and the park interlock won't let me put it in Drive without some bypass work.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Since we're talking car accidents, I'll ride this thread with mine too. I finally got mine settled last week for the 2nd accident in less than 3 months.

November 13th a girl made a U turn in front of me across my lane and I nailed her with my right front in her driver side doors. Farmers paid me $2200 and I kept it. Feb 5th a lady made a right on red right as I'm going through the intersection at 45 with a green as green can be. I went to the left trying to avoid her but couldn't go all the way into the next lane because another car was there, so I got her left rear wheel with my right front. Car wasn't repaired yet from the first wreck in November, but this accident made that damage a little worse and I didn't think I'd keep it. After close examination and not of the rails were damages, it's all exterior sheet metal damage and the core support. This insurance co paid me $2147 for the car and I kept it, plus a tow bill of $220. I gave $300 to my tow buddy that has a car exactly like mine less the color, power locks, windows and mirrors that he impounded and was unclaimed without a key. I just got that car home today since my buddy brought it to the house at no charge. I just now hot wired it at the ignition since it's not a transponder key. Took some doing but I got to fire up. Motor sounds great. To bad I can't take it for a drive. The steering wheel is locked and the park interlock won't let me put it in Drive without some bypass work.
Gotta hand it to you, You're probably the only person in the world who can say they made that much off of a used Kia.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Gotta hand it to you, You're probably the only person in the world who can say they made that much off of a used Kia.
Most used Kicks In the Asses are sold by the pound to the Chinese

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No doubt. And it was a free car to begin. with. My buddy says I'll make a living wrecking that damn car. I've never been a Kia fan but I have to admit, this car has been a great one so far. It runs good, great mpg, Heat works, AC blows cold. So far no mechanical issues other than just maintenence things like brake pads and belts.

BTW, I don't like to lie. When doing a valuation on the car, I had to negotiate a bump in value. They said they had to take off for low tire tread. I said what about all the things I've done to it in the last 4 months, brakes, belts, battery, oil change and air filter, and I also put a new timing belt in it. My buddy says, Ohhh you did install that timing belt finally? I said, Dude, listen to what I said, I said I put a new timing belt in it. They didn't ask me if I installed it, I just told them I put a new Timing belt in it, and I did, its sitting on the passenger seat in it's original box. It is IN the car so don't argue with me. :happy175:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
No doubt. And it was a free car to begin. with. My buddy says I'll make a living wrecking that damn car. I've never been a Kia fan but I have to admit, this car has been a great one so far. It runs good, great mpg, Heat works, AC blows cold. So far no mechanical issues other than just maintenence things like brake bads and belts.

BTW, I don't like to lie. When doing a valuation on the car, I had to negotiate a ump in value. They said they had to take off for low tire tread. I said what about all the things I've done to it in the last 4 months, brakes, belts, battery, oil change and air filter, and I also put a new timing belt in it. My buddy says, Ohhh you did install that timing belt finally? I said, Dude, listen to what I said, I said I put a new timing belt in it. They didn't ask me if I installed it, I just told them I put a new Timing belt in it, and I did, its sitting on the passenger seat in it's original box. It is IN the car so don't argue with me. :happy175:
Write a letter to Kia and tell them your story maybe they will give you a new one.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------