Well crap! Wife in a Car Accident.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've seen a car totalled before because it was a low to the ground car like a Honda Civic or Accord and the guy had hit a lifted 4x4 truck. He barely hit it, but the truck was just high enough and had a receiver hitch, that the receiver hitch went through the grill snagged the air bag sensor and set off the driver side air bag. It needed a grill, an AC condensor, driver side air bag and air bag sensor. That was it. Didn't even need paint since the grill was black plastic or something like that. AC would have required being charged too of course. It was in the neighborhood of a $7000-$8000 car. Many times an air bag alone totals a car and I've been told it's because Ins Co's don't want the liability of an Air Bag repair so they'll total it. But they also know a car like that is going to bring good money back at the Insurance Pool Auto Auction.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife just got a call from sister in law, hood fell on brothers head and gashed it pretty good, hood has a dent now. Sad all the way around.

I was laying tile on a shower floor this morning or I probably would have been there .

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car is finally off the frame rack, hood already being worked, Larry’s head is on the mend. And another issue resolved. They couldn’t get the car to start, they were getting “check charging system” and “check hybrid system”. They were satisfied everything was put back properly so they call me. I was no help so we had to check with a Toyota tech and he seemed to know right off what the problem was.

The hybrid battery had to be disconnected during repairs and even though they thought the disconnect system had been returned to it proper position, the “switch” which had been reinserted it has to be slid to the left to make contact. Problem solved.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Good to hear he's doing better. Cars can get fixed a lot easier than we all can. Soon enough it'll all be back together.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it’s back home. Not perfect probably, but close.
You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Sorry to hear about your wife, I hope she is well now. But if you want to buy a truck, some financing business might be able to help you.
Seriously? After all this, you think that he's unaware about financing, or that it's even an issue?

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t need to buy a truck so not sure what that is about. As an update, still not driving the car! Sitting in the garage since the pics above. Still don’t have the final paperwork done and new title so no plates on the car. It’s also waiting sor the final cut and buff, since we were in no big hurry for the car we wanted to give it plenty of time for the clear to cure out. The finish wasn’t baked in a paint booth like so many shops use. Hopefully next week when I get back home I’ll take it back to my body man and get her finished up.

With gas creeping up to $3.00 a gallon in need the hybrid back on the road!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That dude's gone.

Looks good in the pics, with the exception of one little thing that should be an easy fix...

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That dude's gone.
I am (seriously) impressed with the quick action. That was a fast fix for something that could have gone on, and on.....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I am (seriously) impressed with the quick action. That was a fast fix for something that could have gone on, and on.....

There were already several seemingly random posts, then that link. That's grounds for quick removal.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Have I missed something? Which one little thing?

The right hood hinge appears to be slightly tweaked and has the rear corner of the hood kicked up a bit. It's normal to see that when one has been in even a minor collision.

f6john

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good eye, my brother in law elected to not replace the hinges. I would have rather got them replaced but he had already started fitting all the panels and so we went with it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Good eye, my brother in law elected to not replace the hinges. I would have rather got them replaced but he had already started fitting all the panels and so we went with it.

It's very likely that the mounting area for the hinge is slightly puckered up at the rear mounting bolt. That area can be knocked down fairly easy, just don't go too far. Or you can simply shim the hinge to hood in order to fix the gap. Just one shim at the forward mounting bolt should do it. The only problem with that method is shims look out of place on a modern car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL