Vin tag on the frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, these were pretty 'spensive for 2 freakin' rivets, lol, but they were supposed to be NOS. Seems like I checked them against the ones in the truck and they matched, but it 's kinda a moot point now, as I decided to just weld up all the screw holes and button holes that were drilled into #4's original dash.
Yep, always want to make sure you use the correct rivets cuz the LEO's know that too and part of how they can tell if they've been tampered with. Sometimes I think it's just easier to cut out the dash about 3 inches all around the vin tag and weld it back in the donor and finish it and paint it to where it would be very hard to tell the sheetmetal was cut out.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Btw...possession of those gm rivets is a felony and so is sale of them.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I too have seen them for sale on flea bay before.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I too have seen them for sale on flea bay before.

Hell...someone actually post up an ad "grandmother for sale"....and received bids...lmao...I guess Ebay didn't catch on to that ad either.

Before I started my cab/vin swap on my restoration square two years ago, I just verified the specifics with what I was p lanning to do with the motor vehicle division in Az. The MVD here, just wanted assurance that the vehicle prior to the restoration was legit as well as all of the swapped parts. They cleared it, inspected the truck and issued another title. It just makes sense to ask all of the right questions before it becomes a legal issue and you end up having to surrender the vehicle that you have time and money invested in...regardless of wheher or not you ever intend to sell it.

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Hell...someone actually post up an ad "grandmother for sale"....and received bids...lmao...I guess Ebay didn't catch on to that ad either.

Before I started my cab/vin swap on my restoration square two years ago, I just verified the specifics with what I was p lanning to do with the motor vehicle division in Az. The MVD here, just wanted assurance that the vehicle prior to the restoration was legit as well as all of the swapped parts. They cleared it, inspected the truck and issued another title. It just makes sense to ask all of the right questions before it becomes a legal issue and you end up having to surrender the vehicle that you have time and money invested in...regardless of wheher or not you ever intend to sell it.

So which vin is on the dash, on what shows up on the title? The situation that lead me to pick up the rivets happened to be that the vin was staying with the truck, the dashboard that it was riveted to was changing. In reality I was changing the dash, not the vin. And both truck were registered to me, so I didn't see a problem there.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
I swapped cabs. The truck frame in my case is titled and registered as a 1984...the cab is from a donor 1987 model. So the vin tag on the donor cab (87) was removed and replaced with the 84 vin dash tag

Currently, the frame vin, donor cab vin are the same...just different cab. The 1984 cab was badly hail damaged, rusted at the drip rails and the door hinges were also beyond repair on the cab section. Standard non rosette rivets were used to attach the 84 vin to the 87 cab. The title reads "restoration".

If you are just replacing the dash..as long as the frame vin, and dash vin remain the same...it should be fine. I personally wouldn't worry about using the rosette rivets. The mvd only cares about matching vins and a clear title.

Only a Chevy buyer would even think to lok at the rivets, but in the end if the title and all vins match it should be fine.

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It's a moot point with mine anyhow. I decided to weld up all the screw and push button holes in the existing dash, as opposed to drilling all the spotwelds at the base of the windshield. The d30 had some extra brackets under the pad for additional equipment mounting. Decided I wanted to keep that. I was just curious how it had worked out with your swap. I had never heard of a restoration title before. Not sure we have that option up here. Was hoping you didn't have to get a made up vin like HRPC said they do down his way.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Az is pretty lax when it comes to restorations. There are a ton here since we don't have rust, much rain and a lot of seasonal visitors. People move here for the 9 months of great weather and then migrate to cooler areas during the 120 degree days.

Probably the best part at least for me is that we can drive an hour, see the snow, make a snowman...then leave the snow for someone else to shovel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod