Turbo 400 Yoke Bolt Torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have been searching on this site and all of the interwebs for the better part of the day and I have had no luck finding the torque for the center bolt on the yoke of my turbo 400. Anyine have this info? Any help is appreciated.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
All I ever did was use blue Loc-Tite and tightened it with a 1/2" drive ratchet, never had one come loose yet..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I always just went with tight AF with a 1/2 in ratchet by hand, and didn't use any Loc-Tite and never had a problem. A couple drops of blue wouldn't hurt but using red would be way overkill IMO and you'd regret it later on. I rarely use red Loc-Tite.

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Turns out the bolt was somewhat rounded to begin with so after a while with the torque wrench heading towards 150, I couldn't keep the socket on the bolt and decided that meant it was tight enough :gr_grin:. I now feel better about that strategy, thanks for the advice!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I always just went with tight AF with a 1/2 in ratchet by hand, and didn't use any Loc-Tite and never had a problem. A couple drops of blue wouldn't hurt but using red would be way overkill IMO and you'd regret it later on. I rarely use red Loc-Tite.
Red is "permanent" you need heat to get it off..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Red is "permanent" you need heat to get it off..
Right, I don't use red much. I'll be using it on things like when I cut frame rivets to move my rear spring hangers and use hardened bolts to remount them. I'll be using plenty of red on those threads.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Right, I don't use red much. I'll be using it on things like when I cut frame rivets to move my rear spring hangers and use hardened bolts to remount them. I'll be using plenty of red on those threads.
Same here, only use it if I know it's never gonna come back off,lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk