Trying to figure out the correct calipers. Any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duderino

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I've got an 87 blazer that had 3/4 ton axles swapped on before I bought it. I'm having issues with it pulling hard to the right when braking hard. I've been tossing around the idea of replacing both front calipers, but I'm not sure what to get. The previous owner wasn't sure what the axles came off of, but thought it was an 87 or 88 2500 suburban. The front axle is a dana 44, based on the markings on it. Can anyone tell me what vehicle info I should punch in on the O'Reilly website?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think, the calipers from the 2500 fits the 1500 too, and viceee verceee.

SafetyHelmet

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy
Engine Size
454/TH350 (Built)
If they're Danas, you should be able to ID them, I need to do the same with my truck once she's back from the shop. Similar situation, I have 3/4 ton conversion from PO, Dana 60s. Pulls a little to the right if I brake hard at a decent clip.

Grab a copy of a Dana service manual, if I recall the one I have shows where to look for info on your axles.

andy72

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
sounds to me like a brake hose problem, not a caliper problem

Duderino

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
sounds to me like a brake hose problem, not a caliper problem

The hose still looks pretty new. I guess I can try bleeding that line before I replace the caliper.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
The hose still looks pretty new. I guess I can try bleeding that line before I replace the caliper.

Yeah, the hose will usually look fine on the outside, but the inner liner has collapsed blocking the flow of fluid.

Duderino

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Yeah, the hose will usually look fine on the outside, but the inner liner has collapsed blocking the flow of fluid.

Then I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help, guys!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Those calipers should be Delco - Moraine. They are the type with the 2 mounting bolts (kind of like slide pins). They are prone to sticking at the mounting bolts - at least compared to the Bendix style, which are basically self-contained. I would look closely at the pins and bushings for your sticking problem - and not jump right to a collapsed hose - but that's just me.

BTW - I'm sure you are all over this but since no one mentioned it- the problem will be with the left hand brake with a RH pull.

Delco-Moraine:

You must be registered for see images attach

Bendix:

You must be registered for see images attach

Duderino

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Cool I'll check them out. I've also got about 15 or 20 degrees of play in each direction in the steering wheel before the front wheels start turning in one direction or the other. Is this must because I'm on 35s, or is there something I can do to fix it? The column isnt moving, I just have dead space in the wheel.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Are all steering components that are subject to wear (e.g. ball joints, tie rod ends, connecting links, etc) tight?

Is the power steering fluid free of entrained air?

Check the steering gear mounting hardware for tightness and broken bolts - also be aware of the tendency of the frame to crack at the S/G mounts?

If all the above are good and you still have that much play - come back with the make/model of the steering gear (bring some pictures if unsure). We can go through the procedures for worm bearing pre-load and Pitman Shaft Over Center preload.

Are your wheel bearings tight?

Wait a minute - I just caught this:

The column isnt moving, I just have dead space in the wheel.

Are you saying it takes 20 degrees of steering wheel rotation just to get the rag joint to move?

If so - that is a whole different issue.

Please clarify.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Just went through the same issue this summer and made the same mistake of doing calipers first w/out REALLY thinking about it. Bout the hose from RockAuto for like $13 I think.......problem solved. Mine had been pulling like that FOR YEARS! I'd always blamed on the fact that I'd originally changed the caliper & rotor on one side only.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24