Tow Trucks, Wreckers and Car Hauler Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looks like a 4x4 though...

Yeah, if it's got a D60 front, then it's sure worth it. That truck would look 10X better taking that fuggin flare/runningboard step off it down the whole side. That's what I just figured out that I don't like about it. No benefit to that for that truck IMO.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My red one has about a 375hp built 454. 78 block, 396 heads, 427 truck cam, air gap intake, and a 750 or so holley with 3" true duals and flow masters. I had about $4k in engine build 10 years ago. This is the 3rd truck it's been in. Originally in a 86 K30 wrecker with a 1100 Holmes that burnt to the ground, then in a 76 C30 dually I broke frame in two, and been in this truck about 3 years now. It still has all the power I could ever ask for and if it lacks enough power, I shouldn't be trying to use a 1 ton to pull what I'm pulling

What trans?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Heck loan me a few bucks and I'll buy that one lol. Just what I need to get on rotation here

That truck is for nothing more than flat ass making the big bucks. I've heard some of those Tractor/Trailer lay overs costing $4000-$5000 for uprighting and hauling away. I'd imagine that's unloading freight to another trailer too. That's crazy money, but realistically, how often do you do that? But you figure 1 job a month to make your payment, and another job you're in the profit.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My red one has about a 375hp built 454. 78 block, 396 heads, 427 truck cam, air gap intake, and a 750 or so holley with 3" true duals and flow masters. I had about $4k in engine build 10 years ago. This is the 3rd truck it's been in. Originally in a 86 K30 wrecker with a 1100 Holmes that burnt to the ground, then in a 76 C30 dually I broke frame in two, and been in this truck about 3 years now. It still has all the power I could ever ask for and if it lacks enough power, I shouldn't be trying to use a 1 ton to pull what I'm pulling

3" true duals!? I know somebody is here waiting for me to chime in about this.
Whats your normal operating rpm range?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That truck is for nothing more than flat ass making the big bucks. I've heard some of those Tractor/Trailer lay overs costing $4000-$5000 for uprighting and hauling away. I'd imagine that's unloading freight to another trailer too. That's crazy money, but realistically, how often do you do that? But you figure 1 job a month to make your payment, and another job you're in the profit.

My old boss at the last job bought one of those...Ilegal in Cali now, but its an 07, so they grandfathered it in.
Greedy MF cut everyones pay the beginning of this year to make sure he didnt miss his trip to Hawaii....after he bought it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My old boss at the last job bought one of those...Ilegal in Cali now, but its an 07, so they grandfathered it in.
Greedy MF cut everyones pay the beginning of this year to make sure he didnt miss his trip to Hawaii....after he bought it.

Rotaters are illegal in Cali? Why?

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
What trans?

4speed with 205 transfer. It has 4:10 gears and a governer lock in the rear. I run 750-16 mud and snow on it most of the time

I have ported out cast manifolds that dump into 3" pipe all the way through flow masters to tail pipes that dump in front of rear wheels. I couldn't tell you what rpm it runs, the tach quit a few years ago, and speedo died at the 400k mile mark. Its one of those things yea it sounds good, oh wait alittle more speed and it sounds better next thing you know your flying. I use a gps for a speedometer at times and I had a wreck called in for the other side county at 2:00 am. I went out the one two lane highway 90-95 mph by gps, but that's about tops for it

Last edited:

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454

Our local tow company just done a semi roll over and it had to be offloaded. Bill was more like $9,500. They just bought a rotator because next year any tow company that does police work in our area will be required to have one or one available from what state trooper explained a few months ago when I was trying to get on rotation.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Our local tow company just done a semi roll over and it had to be offloaded. Bill was more like $9,500. They just bought a rotator because next year any tow company that does police work in our area will be required to have one or one available from what state trooper explained a few months ago when I was trying to get on rotation.

That's rediculous. Not every company needs a rotator. In OKC, of all the Tow companies, there might be 3 companies that have Semi Heavy Haul, and/or Rotators and the OKCPD, County Sheriff, and OHP know it. So those 3 companies are on rotation for Heavy Duty work and it's a whole seperate rotation, so they don't lose the light and medium duty business either. Basically rewarding them for having the heavy equipment. And most of them when they get on scene if that company doesn't have enough resourcess, then they'll call up the next up and it's possible if it's a big mess and 2 big rigs tangled up, they might even have all 3 companies working the accident. That's just stupid to require every company on rotation to have that kind of specially equipment as expensive as it is.
Again, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
3" true duals!? I know somebody is here waiting for me to chime in about this.
Whats your normal operating rpm range?

My crew cab has 3 inch duals all the way back to Flowmasters with 2.5 inch tailpipes (not sure why). Probably overkill but it sounds good and certainly doesn't lack any low end power.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
That's rediculous. Not every company needs a rotator. In OKC, of all the Tow companies, there might be 3 companies that have Semi Heavy Haul, and/or Rotators and the OKCPD, County Sheriff, and OHP know it. So those 3 companies are on rotation for Heavy Duty work and it's a whole seperate rotation, so they don't lose the light and medium duty business either. Basically rewarding them for having the heavy equipment. And most of them when they get on scene if that company doesn't have enough resourcess, then they'll call up the next up and it's possible if it's a big mess and 2 big rigs tangled up, they might even have all 3 companies working the accident. That's just stupid to require every company on rotation to have that kind of specially equipment as expensive as it is.
Again, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Yea I just talked to a guy about a brigadier with a W45 Holmes tandem axle. I think I could do most recoverys with a old mechanical truck. If nothing else it would lighten the load on old red. I also bet if I had a bigger wrecker I could find more big trucks for scrap if nothing else.

Speaking of scrap one of the local scrapers stopped by today on his way to scrapyard with another old wrecker with a Holmes 440 on it. My girlfriend says I need theropy because I bought it and stuck it out back. To bad it's a 74 ferd not a Chevy. Oh well it was cheap enough

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea I just talked to a guy about a brigadier with a W45 Holmes tandem axle. I think I could do most recoverys with a old mechanical truck. If nothing else it would lighten the load on old red. I also bet if I had a bigger wrecker I could find more big trucks for scrap if nothing else.

Speaking of scrap one of the local scrapers stopped by today on his way to scrapyard with another old wrecker with a Holmes 440 on it. My girlfriend says I need theropy because I bought it and stuck it out back. To bad it's a 74 ferd not a Chevy. Oh well it was cheap enough

Yep, take the bed off and scrap the Ferd part of it for part of your money back. Wonder why I can't come across any deals like that? Not that it matters. Broke as hell now, but if I had one, I could be making some money.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
My crew cab has 3 inch duals all the way back to Flowmasters with 2.5 inch tailpipes (not sure why). Probably overkill but it sounds good and certainly doesn't lack any low end power.

I wonder why they done it that way? I know I sure like the looks of your crewcab. I want to get my tan 78 K35 crewcab to set about like yours and look half as nice as yours. Yours sure is one beautiful truck

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Yep, take the bed off and scrap the Ferd part of it for part of your money back. Wonder why I can't come across any deals like that? Not that it matters. Broke as hell now, but if I had one, I could be making some money.

Yea that was my idea with the truck. That and I need a 360/390 for my first wrecker that's in the barn. Bed is alittle rough, but usable. Even has the old school Holmes push bumper. Hey I had to give $600 for it, and that cleaned me out till I get next load of scrap in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68