Tow Trucks, Wreckers and Car Hauler Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea that was my idea with the truck. That and I need a 360/390 for my first wrecker that's in the barn. Bed is alittle rough, but usable. Even has the old school Holmes push bumper. Hey I had to give $600 for it, and that cleaned me out till I get next load of scrap in

The bed alone is worth that even if it needs some work. And you'd get $200 from the truck skeleton even after taking the motor.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
My crew cab has 3 inch duals all the way back to Flowmasters with 2.5 inch tailpipes (not sure why). Probably overkill but it sounds good and certainly doesn't lack any low end power.

Sounds like a step or so up from stock...I think it was 2.5 then 2" after the mufflers.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
MIght be going back into part time rotation with the guy that I was driving with before Talked to him tonight and hes buying another truck and is going to need help on the weekends.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What he meant to say was, You can do the **** I don't want to do, like get up all hours of the night on the weekends. I didn't mind that **** at all. Being the only driver, I made more money.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Yea and since ill still be working a regular job if i dont do anything on the weekend no big deal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yea and since ill still be working a regular job if i dont do anything on the weekend no big deal.

Weekends are usually the big buck deals too. Impouds and accidents scenes. I really like accident scenes. USUALLY, insurnace companies are paying those big bills and who gives a rats ass taking money from crooks? I just hate the ones where people don't have full coverage. Feel bad for those, but it is what it is, and many times full coverage isn't worth it. I don't full coverage on any of my squares.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Yea I miss working accidents and police impounds myself, was great money. Plus get to interact with law enforcement. Only part I didn't like was the serious crash cleanup where you know someone got hurt bad. There was one up the road a few days ago that was a triple fatal a massive combine pulled out in front of a dodge minivan with a mother and 5 kids. Those were the calls that when I worked them that stuck in my head for some time.

I run full coverage on anything I have that I value at $2500 or more. I currently have 9 vehicles played and insured all but 3 have full coverage. I learned my lesson long ago about not having full coverage when I lost a couple of trucks due to fire. I look as it as if I can do without the vehicle or afford to just replace it I don't have full coverage. The rest I do. I even had some of my squares appraised to make sure they are covered for enough should something happen

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, working those bad ones is tough. I was scared for myself when the time would come that I'd have to work a bad one. Amazingly I did fine on scene. You got the adrenalin going and know you got a job to do, and tying to hurry and get traffic flowing as fast as you can or at least another lane open if it's not shut down waiting on the ME, but all is well.

Then it's when you're all done you climb up in the truck start rolling away from the scene and soon thereafter it hits you, WTF did I just clean up and all those thoughts go thru your head, I wonder if they had kids, how old were they, does their spouse know yet, then you want to call your own kids and family to make sure they're OK and remind them to drive safe. Then you back to the yard are set it down and get a good look at it and realize how fugged up it really was, and it does stick to your mind for a few days.

The ones I really like, are the ones where the car is crushed up like a beer can when you roll up on it and think Oh ****, this is bad, and driver walks up and says can you help me get my garage door opener off the visor and my laptop bag out of the back seat. Cars are friggin demolished but the people are all walking around.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You guys see that parking wars show? All I can think of is Hotrod and Towjoe, lol...

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
hey now I like that show. But I'm not into the private impounds or repo work. Just doing tows, motor club and scrapping cars myself. Guess that's why I'm always broke.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What's worse have you seen South Beach Tow? I know that show is fake, but still, if even it's true in FL a tow driver can just hook up to illegal parked cars and go with it... ohh boy that would be some ****.

I don't like doing PPI's either, the paperwork involved sucks major ass, and then you have to fax it the PD, County Sheriff and Tax Commision. And Yep, the boss sure gives them a rippin if they want they want their car back. It's like 3 times a normal tow and all I get is my normal tow for it. He raises the storage rate is what he does.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Quite interesting show. I didn't see that one you talking about. It's funny watching these people try to talk their way out of it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Quite interesting show. I didn't see that one you talking about. It's funny watching these people try to talk their way out of it.

South Beach Tow is show taped in FL. It's on Tru TV, same channel as Operation Repo and Lizard Lick, all fake shows. I pretty much watch just to see the trucks in action.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beetlejuice01