Tow Trucks, Wreckers and Car Hauler Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The cool thing about around here, is lot rent is cheap. My boss pays $1000 a month for our lot and building. Another guy here in town pays $800 and his building is twice the size and his lot is about 1 1/2 the size of ours. But, his building could use some work. He has an 8 bay shop with about 2000 sq ft of office, bathrooms and waiting or guest room that's set up like a living room with a sofa and tv. Used mostly by the grandkids and young kids while we're there working. I"m about ready to hit him up about moving my squares from my dads to there. He owes me some favors form when we get on some accident scenes and I've helped him out with everything from sweeping, to giving clean sweep, loading his wreck or even towing his assigned car to his lot on my wheel lift when lost a hydro pump. He's about the same distance from my house as my bosses lot, just a different direction. If he had enough biz and better trucks, I'd much rather work for him and I might someday. But, I really rather get a couple little trucks and work for myself.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I know asurion only paid the first $50 on any call and handled AT&T phone roadside here. I've been running a few AT&T roadside calls through Allstate. I went over 40 miles the other night to do a tire change since they couldn't find no one willing to do it. Allstate covered it for over $100 tho so why not.

I'm going have to post some of my fleet photos on this thread from my photo album

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I used to drive a wrecker around the junkyard I used to work at. You guys would shake your head at it, haha. It was a '77 K20 cab sitting on a K30 crew cab DRW frame, with the K20 front axle stuck under it. Had a gutless 305 under the hood and the power steering didn't work at idle (which really sucked with the dinky old Grant wheel). Had to pump the gas about 30 times to get it started in the morning. I think it was an old Holmes bed on it, the sling was gone and we used the hook on everything. Besides towing vehicles around with it, we used it to lift cars in the field to work under them, and used it to pull the motor out of everything that was torn down. It was a POS, but it was a fun truck.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I've run wreckers like that on the road bucket. I borrowed a friends 1959 Chevy apache with a old mechanical Holmes 440 on it and drove it 30k miles. No power steering, leaking radiator, brakes that had to be pumped up to stop, no park brake, and only half the lights working. Had the 4 headlights in it that were held in with expana foam. Had a vet 327 tho and ran like a watch. I repoed a car one night with it and everyone was laughing so hard at the tie died gray paint they never bothered me about taking there car

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I used to drive a wrecker around the junkyard I used to work at. You guys would shake your head at it, haha. It was a '77 K20 cab sitting on a K30 crew cab DRW frame, with the K20 front axle stuck under it. Had a gutless 305 under the hood and the power steering didn't work at idle (which really sucked with the dinky old Grant wheel). Had to pump the gas about 30 times to get it started in the morning. I think it was an old Holmes bed on it, the sling was gone and we used the hook on everything. Besides towing vehicles around with it, we used it to lift cars in the field to work under them, and used it to pull the motor out of everything that was torn down. It was a POS, but it was a fun truck.

I've run wreckers like that on the road bucket. I borrowed a friends 1959 Chevy apache with a old mechanical Holmes 440 on it and drove it 30k miles. No power steering, leaking radiator, brakes that had to be pumped up to stop, no park brake, and only half the lights working. Had the 4 headlights in it that were held in with expana foam. Had a vet 327 tho and ran like a watch. I repoed a car one night with it and everyone was laughing so hard at the tie died gray paint they never bothered me about taking there car

These sound like our yard dog truck. I think it's a 74 or 75, that has to be primed to start crossing the solenoid with a screwdriver, muffler has a big ******** in it from all the backfiring it does, :rofl: But it works better than the roll backs cuz it's shorter and does have a remote winch, so 1 guy does the hooking and 1 guy does the driving and lifting and we can move and rearrange the whole lot in a matter of 20-30 minutes depending on how many cars we have at the time. I think I have a pic of this ugly fugger somewhere in a background photo.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wish I had some pics, but I didn't even have a camera then. When the yard was sold, they put the old wrecker out back to be scrapped later. I did get the grill and owner's manual from it though. The grill is in my K5.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, here's our multicolored yard dog. It's not street legal, not registered or insured. Hunk O **** !!! But it works for what we use it for. Can't even pull motors with it cuz it doesn't have a telescopic boom IIRC.

Our Cooter Speshial DeeeLux Truck !!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• JnoTrucks 029b.jpg
    JnoTrucks 029b.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 320

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yep, here's our multicolored yard dog. It's not street legal, not registered or insured. Hunk O **** !!! But it works for what we use it for. Can't even pull motors with it cuz it doesn't have a telescopic boom IIRC.

attachment.php

That looks like my lightbar on it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Yeah, I'd say you had stealth working in your favor. Noone expected that to be a repo rig. :rofl:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

attachment.php

Yeah, ours looked similar to that. There was a big gap between the cab and bed (former crew) where we kept tools in buckets, and the oxy/propane torch outfit. The opening made it very easy to get at the fuel lines too which was nice, we had to change the fuel filter every week because they would clog. The boom was telescoping and both cables worked, so that was nice.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That looks like my lightbar on it.

It has a pretty nice light bar on it. Why?, I have no fuggin clue. Oh, I forgot, the driver side window don't roll up or is missing too, which is a good thing cuz the floorboard on the passenger side is rusted out and with all the exhaust leaks the cab fills with smoke real bad. :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: It's a fuggin hoopty. I'm the only guy that can get it started priming it, and crossing the starter solenoid, but I prefer to be the guy to be hooking the J hooks and not driving it. I hate that damn hunk of **** and of course it always seems to be in the way too. It don't need keys to start it up, but even then, I usually just hook it with the wheel lift and DRAG it out of my way. :rofl: It's on mostly dirt lot with a little gravel, so it drags nicely even in Park. :happy175: Easier to do that, than fuggin with trying to get it to start.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
The company i was working for got taking by the guy that took my spot. He got the boss to sign over all the trucks and then when the boss want around started parting out the two trucks that were down and then when they were gone started crushing cars that were owned by the company that had never been picked up. Once he blew the motor in the rollback that i was driving he started cutting the bed up being that it was aluminum and selling it for scrap and when the boss started asking questions he tried to have the whole truck crushed and they are now awaiting final word from the courts

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, ours looked similar to that. There was a big gap between the cab and bed (former crew) where we kept tools in buckets, and the oxy/propane torch outfit. The opening made it very easy to get at the fuel lines too which was nice, we had to change the fuel filter every week because they would clog. The boom was telescoping and both cables worked, so that was nice.

Hell man, you guys had a Cadillac set up then. You could even pull motors and lift axles to carry around the lot and eveything with yours. We also have a 87 Ford SuperDuty Conventional with a 7.3 Turbo and Vulcan Strapless bed on it. It's a hoopty truck too but not as bad as this one. It's also used for tows still as our back up truck when one of the roll backs are down for service or the Medium Duty KW conventional.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The company i was working for got taking by the guy that took my spot. He got the boss to sign over all the trucks and then when the boss want around started parting out the two trucks that were down and then when they were gone started crushing cars that were owned by the company that had never been picked up. Once he blew the motor in the rollback that i was driving he started cutting the bed up being that it was aluminum and selling it for scrap and when the boss started asking questions he tried to have the whole truck crushed and they are now awaiting final word from the courts

WOW !!! Someone ****** up and badly. First off the boss did by signing **** over. What a ******* !!! I bet he has no recourse since he put the loser into the position of trust and faith. I bet the fugger walks. You know how much that bed is worth??? Depending on the size and all, it's a $6K-$10K bed, and I"m talking just the tray, not the whole mechaics, pumps, hydros and all that. Just the damn bed itself. DAMN !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You must be registered for see images attach

So this is the company you used to drive for right Jim? You're going to be driving the convential?

That roll back has the same bed as our C6500 has in it but our looks to be a bit longer. IIRC, ours is 19ft 8 inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64