time to upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
kinda starting to debate what to do while not in the truck yet. kinda wanna go ahead and put 4l80e setup together before going in the truck since im planning on going with some mods and a sc. or do you guys think a built 60 will hold?

If you have the chance to go 4L80-E, I'd rock that. Do you have one? If not they aren't cheap. Pops and I can tell you about some upgrades to a 4L60-E that will give you a better chance of it holding up, but the 4L80-E is certainly the way to go if you already have one.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
motor came with a 60, but 80's are for sale all day around houston for 400 or so.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
motor came with a 60, but 80's are for sale all day around houston for 400 or so.

Really??? $400 is pretty good for working 4L80-E. You won't find that around here. More like $800-$1000 for a good used one and that doesn't include the wiring harness or computer yet either.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Really??? $400 is pretty good for working 4L80-E. You won't find that around here. More like $800-$1000 for a good used one and that doesn't include the wiring harness or computer yet either.

$400 is pretty good...almost makes me want to skip getting a built one. I can snag one for $2450 with no core fee from Jake's Performance (they rebuilt my brother's TH350). That includes: all new friction materials, steels, bands, rollerized forward hub, rollerized output shaft thrust, heavy duty intermediate snap ring, 6 clutch direct pack, Hi-Energy carbon clutches in select locations, hydraulic modifications for much increased power capacity and firmer shifting. Also includes new boost valve assembly, new shift solenoids, manifold pressure switch, internal wiring, etc.

You ever built a 4L80E before, HRPC?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
$400 is pretty good...almost makes me want to skip getting a built one. I can snag one for $2450 with no core fee from Jake's Performance (they rebuilt my brother's TH350). That includes: all new friction materials, steels, bands, rollerized forward hub, rollerized output shaft thrust, heavy duty intermediate snap ring, 6 clutch direct pack, Hi-Energy carbon clutches in select locations, hydraulic modifications for much increased power capacity and firmer shifting. Also includes new boost valve assembly, new shift solenoids, manifold pressure switch, internal wiring, etc.

You ever built a 4L80E before, HRPC?

Nope, haven't had the luxury yet. Actually haven't had the balls to either. I got offered to do one once and didn't feel I had the necessary tools, or experience to do one yet for a customer. I'd like to acquire one and go thru it as a confidence builder, and see what special tools I can improvise with, THEN, I'd be ready to take one on. Not sure if Pops rebuilt his or if he bought it and installed it working, but Pops has had some experience with at least one 4L80-E that I am aware of. He converted his 96 1/2 ton 4x4 to 4L80-E.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
scratch that. all the 400 80s have been bought up after a quicj call around yesterday. found a few in the 700 range, which makes me think about going ahead and building the 60. as far as motor wise ive been looking at the texas speed head cam package before putting in. i mean itll have to be tuned once put in anyway, why pay for it twice if dont have to

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your power goals?

Sounds like you want to put down some serious power in a big heavy vehicle. That combined with a 60E is a recipe for disaster.

Because the truck's not even together yet, that is even more reason you should go with an 80E. The 80E may cost $700, but you should be able to get almost the same amount for your 60E due to their high demand because of their high failure rate.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
thats kinda what im thinking. i got the tranny pulled off the motor today, and the harness all pulled off.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You need to get oneluckypops in on this thread. He'll know what's up on your conversion, and he knows the pinout to change from the 4L60-E to the 4L80-E. Its actually a fairly easy fix IF YOU KNOW which wires to move. As far as he had made it sound to me anyway. Send him a PM with a link to the thread and have him get involved.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
being as its an 05 with drive by wire, what year range 80 should i be looking for?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
being as its an 05 with drive by wire, what year range 80 should i be looking for?

As far as I am aware, any year will work, even the pre-LSx cores. The only thing you'll be missing on those is one top center bellhousing bolt, which isn't an issue from all the research I've done. You will, of course, want to do a little more research to confirm for yourself, but I've never seen (that I remember) anything to the contrary.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
depends. kinda thinking ill trade my low mile 60 for a higher mile ls 80 and rebuild it. if i have to buy the 80, ill hold off til i sell the 60 first, then rebuild

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well then since you're planning to rebuild, look for an older unit with the stacked cooler lines. The later models with the center lube cooler lines have a track record of eating up bushings.

jeremys14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
the more i though about it all week, i'm thinking of going ahead with the 60, until it dumps out then maybe upgrading. i don't plan on doing any hauling or taking to the track, so we'll see how the 60 holds up. a lovely stomach virus has haulted any plans i may have had about pulling the 350 out this weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello