Ticking on the driver side of my 84 K 20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
make sure to repack it well.. or.. find a dust cap or somethin. i wouldnt like that idea just because of the dust/dirt that will enter, even a clean road.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
How far are you from El Reno now? I'm in SW OKC near the airport. I have that socket if you're close and need to borrow it.

Well, all but 22 miles of the Texas Panhandle. Then however far it is from the state line to El Reno? To far to borrow a socket, lol, I really do appreciate the offer!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
i would check your t case thing where it mounts.. and your cluster.. if you replace the cable and it broke again it tells me something is maybe broken and the wire just got broke again? Or maybe meshing improper? those would be speed correlated at least to an extent.

I do not know? It was working fine, sgueaked about 30 seconds, the squeaked loud 3 times the quit? Been to busy to fix something that I don't need, and really only like one for the odometer anyhow to keep an eye on fuel consumption. I don't drive very fast so doubt I'd ever be speeding, lol.

Far as the ticking goes, I'll just take it plumb apart and eye ball things, be sure it has quality bearings (like there is such a thing?? Was told at the bearing house a while back that only SKF (or another that is initials??) is American made, Timken are imported now??) I regress.

Thanks!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
To be sure it's not the hubs just take them out and take the truck for a spin. You don't need the hubs to drive it, just for 4wd. Just make sure not to go down any dirt roads or through any mud puddles lol

That's a good idea!! Bet I'll do it. We have plenty of dirt and dust, though would have to drive plum down to Waco or so to find a mud puddle, lol.

Thanks, your appreciated!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
make sure to repack it well.. or.. find a dust cap or somethin. i wouldnt like that idea just because of the dust/dirt that will enter, even a clean road.

Yes Ma'am! So your saying I can't do it?? Grin.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i think any of the bearing brand names are hit or miss because they source from all over, an AC Delco, Timken, and SKF can all be had from the US and also China. some maybe more than others

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
i think any of the bearing brand names are hit or miss because they source from all over, an AC Delco, Timken, and SKF can all be had from the US and also China. some maybe more than others

I don't know? Have taken a Timken bearing out of a National box, as well as 2 other brands out of 4 sets of bearing and races. Out of 16 National branded boxes, there were 4 different brand name bearings or races?? Though, no SKF.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, all but 22 miles of the Texas Panhandle. Then however far it is from the state line to El Reno? To far to borrow a socket, lol, I really do appreciate the offer!!
Yep, that's a bit far. Sounds like a 2 hour drive. I'm only about 25 minutes from El Reno but the other side from you. El Reno, Home of the Federal Pen where McVeigh stayed.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
As others have said, if you haven't ever had the hubs apart you might as well just take a day and rebuild both sides. I'd get a seal kit for each side and then just disassemble both hubs completely. Then you can check the axles, u-joints, and hubs completely. While you are at it, you'll have new grease seals on everything and know that you have fresh grease in the hubs and that the nuts are torqued down right. I've seen enough simple things screwed up to not really trust anything I haven't taken apart and checked myself at least once.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
As others have said, if you haven't ever had the hubs apart you might as well just take a day and rebuild both sides. I'd get a seal kit for each side and then just disassemble both hubs completely. Then you can check the axles, u-joints, and hubs completely. While you are at it, you'll have new grease seals on everything and know that you have fresh grease in the hubs and that the nuts are torqued down right. I've seen enough simple things screwed up to not really trust anything I haven't taken apart and checked myself at least once.
Holy hell do I understand that.. my park avenue has been.. just.. wow. SHop negligence is still felt a year later

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Holy hell do I understand that.. my park avenue has been.. just.. wow. SHop negligence is still felt a year later

Unfortunately shops and shop employees are just people. Just like an IQ bell curve, think of aaaaaalllllll the people you know that call themselves "mechanics" and like to modify their own cars... then think of the ability and intelligence of the most "average" on of those guys.... then realize that 50% of all the mechanics out there are dumber than THAT guy :shrug:

Find a good shop, and specifically a good mechanic within that shop to work on your stuff if you can't do it yourself. Good shops are hard to find and expensive when you do. If the yare a good experienced mechanic they usually expect to be compensated as such, which isn't cheap.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Worst, it IS a good shop and its closest to me. They do good work, but its ONE technician. I know his name and smug face, so if i go again next time I know not to have him touch anything past loose tires. Seriously this guy couldnt tighten a single bolt

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Worst, it IS a good shop and its closest to me. They do good work, but its ONE technician. I know his name and smug face, so if i go again next time I know not to have him touch anything past loose tires. Seriously this guy couldnt tighten a single bolt

A shop that allows such a technician to turn out crap work isn't really a good shop. They should have some kind of quality control process. It sounds more like it is just an OK shop that has a few good technicians. Unfortunately that is the worst kind in my mind... a truly bad shop wont be able to stay in business very long and a truly good shop will usually be very successful. Its the middle of the road guys that are OK with having mediocre technicians and don't even QC them that give shops a bad name. They will do just good enough and get enough recommendations off the few good techs they have to stay in business, while the bad technicians will screw over lots of people in the process and hold the shop down.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Yep, that's a bit far. Sounds like a 2 hour drive. I'm only about 25 minutes from El Reno but the other side from you. El Reno, Home of the Federal Pen where McVeigh stayed.

Haha, more like 5, I'm 22 miles from New Mexico, nor do I drive very fast.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Haha, more like 5, I'm 22 miles from New Mexico, nor do I drive very fast.
Ahh, I thought you meant 22 miles from OK. Yep, it's 5 then. It's 4 hours for me to get to Amarillo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666