Ticking on the driver side of my 84 K 20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
When I put my hub back on(D44) incorrectly last year, it wouldnt fully engage the teeth because i bent the snout on the spindle a wee bit so the cam couldnt slide into the sprocket thing unassisted but it would disengage. so i had an annoying click peridoically at low speeds( I dont drive on road) and found out in the mud i had 2wd only. The indicator on the hub didnt line up with FREE and LOCK and I just assumed i put the cap on wrong :p
You must be registered for see images attach

but if you havent touched it, it shouldnt be that. but always a thing to consider. i would jack up front, put both in free, and give her a spin, it shouldnt bind or have the shaft move.
then put in lock, and give her a spin, the shaft should spin.

then if you are still good, like suggested, check your wheel bearings for play which i think you said is good, but its in the air why not. then brakes would be next logical contender for me

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@HotRodPC @1987 GMC Jimmy @AuroraGirl. Sorry, not enough info, it is a manual, and 208, the aluminum one. Manual hubs, that work as they should, the front drive does not spin when not engaged, works fine when engaged, and I dont know if it ticks when engaged? Been a while since it was?? Yes, the tick runs right along with speed, and goes away around 45/50 ish, speedo is broke.
Has to be something with the rotor, the bearings are not loose, to tight?? spins as it should and doesn't get warm...so??? Reason, I haven't taken it apart is because I don't have the special socket and always forget to get one when I'm in town, lol.
U joints are all tight, or I cant get any wiggle out of them, The slip yoke on the drive shaft is a little sloppy, but again, not turning.

Thanks guys and gal!!
i forgot to say too. someone had an annoying noise at one point and they had a broken speedo.

IS YOUR speedo cable still on the truck, mounted to the cluster? Is it unhooked nowhere to be found? Mine is on the truck and it just sits there mocking me when the cluster is off. it will spin, too, but its clearly damaged because its just a sheath and wire, no way to connect it i think. but if it were to hit something it will just make noise

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I once knew a guy that drove himself crazy with the exact same issue... turned out to be a bolt in his tire that only made contact under certain speeds and steering directions. Check the tires carefully for FOD.

Lol, well i started out crazy with this deal, so. I'm at the end! Have changed the tires and the tick has persisted, so going to wager it don't have the same bolt in 2 different tires. Though, I have seen weirder!!

Thanks!!

Last edited:

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I know you said you checked the u-joints but I just want to ask if you checked the axle u-joints? Maybe a cap backed out out and is making contact with the axle? Or the grease fitting if there is one? There might even be a rock in the axle tube that is being flung around by the axle.

Yes sir, that was a thought I had, jacked up where I could turn everything and a pry bar where I could reach everything, couldn't get narry a wiggle out of nothing! Far as caps go everything is flush and pretty as it should be? Nor could I find a visible sign of anything contacting anything else?? If it ends up being a rock in the axle tube, I'm gunna buy you a Daniel Webster cigar!!

Thanks!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
This! Although the cap doesn't have to back out to make noise. Worked on a dodge once and it had a speed matching tick. Ended up being the outer axle u-joint, all dried up. Have also had similar ticking from main driveshaft u-joints.

This can also be a tricky one cuz the braking, steering, and suspension all can affect it. This is my best guess without getting hands on it.

Like said, I can't get a wiggle out of the U joints, nothing shiny and clean? And on the drivers side the seal does not leak??

Thanks!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I would check brake hardware and caliper mounting as the noise goes away under braking. My truck is 2wd but had similar symptom and found brake pad anti rattle hardware loose. Good luck

Yes sir, the calipers pads were all brand new when I bought it, and it had this ticking?? Doesn't mean that all that was installed correctly, nor have I taken it apart to see...so?? It seems to be becoming more pronounced and in need of attention, and here we are ..... on the puter box, not working on the truck??? lol, shop is full work?

Thanks!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you're certain all that is good, then it's gotta be in that hub lock. Broken spring or something like that. I don't even recall for sure if you have a spring in those hubs. Of course not certain on the model either. It seems Spicers for sure have a spring in them and I know guys who have had to buy a complete set of new hub locks cuz they couldn't find the spring sold by itself.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
If you're certain all that is good, then it's gotta be in that hub lock. Broken spring or something like that. I don't even recall for sure if you have a spring in those hubs. Of course not certain on the model either. It seems Spicers for sure have a spring in them and I know guys who have had to buy a complete set of new hub locks cuz they couldn't find the spring sold by itself.

I'm certain of precisley nothing any more! But, can't see/find anything outwardly visible causing the tick? Just need to get a socket and take it all apart and see? Have little experience with a 4 wheel drive, thought this may be "one of those things"?
Do appreciate all the interest and help, by everyone!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
When I put my hub back on(D44) incorrectly last year, it wouldnt fully engage the teeth because i bent the snout on the spindle a wee bit so the cam couldnt slide into the sprocket thing unassisted but it would disengage. so i had an annoying click peridoically at low speeds( I dont drive on road) and found out in the mud i had 2wd only. The indicator on the hub didnt line up with FREE and LOCK and I just assumed i put the cap on wrong :p
You must be registered for see images attach

but if you havent touched it, it shouldnt be that. but always a thing to consider. i would jack up front, put both in free, and give her a spin, it shouldnt bind or have the shaft move.
then put in lock, and give her a spin, the shaft should spin.

then if you are still good, like suggested, check your wheel bearings for play which i think you said is good, but its in the air why not. then brakes would be next logical contender for me

All the 4 wheel drive stuff works fine, little hard to free the hubs if they are in a bind, wiggle the truck around and they freely come out. Speedo cable is new, though the whole thing quit in El Reno Oklahoma, July 4th before last. The ticking was there prior.

Thanks!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i would check your t case thing where it mounts.. and your cluster.. if you replace the cable and it broke again it tells me something is maybe broken and the wire just got broke again? Or maybe meshing improper? those would be speed correlated at least to an extent.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Get a LARGE piece of cardboard and start taking one hub apart. re-grease everything and put it back together.
Repeat for the other side.
If it still ticks, the problem is not with the hubs.

Seriously.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think 79 dentside had an issue where he was driving himself mad to find an issue and found his tcase mount was bad or perhaps something else in the rear made noise in the front. He also grenaded his rear end but i do believe that was a different time

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All the 4 wheel drive stuff works fine, little hard to free the hubs if they are in a bind, wiggle the truck around and they freely come out. Speedo cable is new, though the whole thing quit in El Reno Oklahoma, July 4th before last. The ticking was there prior.

Thanks!!
How far are you from El Reno now? I'm in SW OKC near the airport. I have that socket if you're close and need to borrow it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
dont you only need to use that if you take the wheel bearings out? or was there another one in the front for the hub locker

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
To be sure it's not the hubs just take them out and take the truck for a spin. You don't need the hubs to drive it, just for 4wd. Just make sure not to go down any dirt roads or through any mud puddles lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666