thoughts on an old 2 ton truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Look at those gear ratios! 7 & 9s aren't getting to 80mph no way no how.

Aren't these trucks called LCF or tilt cabs???

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yeah, they are STEEP!

I also like the Hertz fleet order option.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Maybe if it has a 366..

Looking at the pictures i'm thinkin "there's no way in hell a 366 hits 80 mph lol"(speedometer).

366 vs cummins? A 6 or a 4?
366 is hella venerable, they are found in old school busses, dump trucks and the like. It's a de- stroked something or other - tall 427?
The truck is cool and it pulls DIFFERENT than your little Cummins for sure.
I'd go drive it.
Oh hell No. My bet will be that truck won't do over 60mph. That'll be all it's got. It'll let you know when that High engine speed light comes on and you're exceeding the safe rpms. Motor will be screaming at 60. Did you notice the rear gear ratio of 7:17? Of course it's got biggo tires so it needs that, but it's still low geared.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Oh I see you've done said it. I totally agree. It's rods playing peek a boo with the oil pan trying to even get to 80 but it won't.

The way those 2 speed rear ends work, it's just one set of main ring and pinion with a set of planetaries that ride inside the ring gear. Those planets reduce the ratio by 33% when you hit the splitter. So the main ring and pinion are 7:17 then you split it to a 33% gear reduction via planets, that's how it'll get the 9.XX ratio.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Speed limit towing is 55 here. As twisty as the roads are where I live the only time I ever tow at 55 is on the freeway.

I’m never in a hurry when I drive. Keeps my insurance cheap.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
*bites tongue*

I am NOT trying to pick a fight in THIS msb with all the Cummins fanboys what lie aloof.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
*bites tongue*

I am NOT trying to pick a fight in THIS msb with all the Cummins fanboys what lie aloof.
Haha, did someone get upset?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Nah man...but they're hiding about...i've been around here long enough to know better.
You go ahead and tell em that a 366 will out pull a Cummins anyday. ;)

I'll watch.

:popcorn:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Nah man...but they're hiding about...i've been around here long enough to know better.
You go ahead and tell em that a 366 will out pull a Cummins anyday. ;)

I'll watch.

:popcorn:
I accually have my friend at the recycling yard on the look out for a 366 or 427 TD for my Burb. They are great for torque and can sustain rpm while pulling. Not speed monsters, but that’s not what the Tow Pig is gonna be for.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Btw @HotRodPC , whatever happened to davbill? He has provided me with quite a bit of entertainment, while reading some of the older threads....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Btw @HotRodPC , whatever happened to davbill? He has provided me with quite a bit of entertainment, while reading some of the older threads....

He still pops in to chat every now and again. Usually in the convo thread.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Speed limit towing is 55 here. As twisty as the roads are where I live the only time I ever tow at 55 is on the freeway.

I’m never in a hurry when I drive. Keeps my insurance cheap.

I would like to get a classic something or other for lugging thing's around as well. 7.17 gears in a big block is going to be single digit mileage though, like, low single digit mileage.

My personal plan, that I'll never enact and only lives in my head, is to put a modern drivetrain in one. 7.4 L20 or 8.1 L18. I love my Allison when towing, the converter locks in 2-5, so it has good engine braking and holds speed downhill well. Then a Dana 70/80 Dual rear axle with 4.10's or 4.30's so I can cruise a little easier.

Of course, they toting thing's all over the world as they are stock, so in good shape, it should continue to do so without issue.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I would like to get a classic something or other for lugging thing's around as well. 7.17 gears in a big block is going to be single digit mileage though, like, low single digit mileage.

My personal plan, that I'll never enact and only lives in my head, is to put a modern drivetrain in one. 7.4 L20 or 8.1 L18. I love my Allison when towing, the converter locks in 2-5, so it has good engine braking and holds speed downhill well. Then a Dana 70/80 Dual rear axle with 4.10's or 4.30's so I can cruise a little easier.

Of course, they toting thing's all over the world as they are stock, so in good shape, it should continue to do so without issue.
I looked into what it’d actually cost to operate and I decided against the old truck for now. It’s not practical for too many reasons.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I looked into what it’d actually cost to operate and I decided against the old truck for now. It’s not practical for too many reasons.

In MIchigan our registrations can be based on GVRW, a truck that big would cost me 600 per year to register. I haven't looked into it enough to figure out how to get around it, and I don't have the space to mess with it anyway.

But it's fun to dream lol.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
:thumbsdown:

I was previously unaware that anything within this MSB was geared towards "practicality".

Is that really what you're all about? Who talked you out of it? because that

:shitsweak:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64