thoughts on an old 2 ton truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
anyone familiar with the running gear in these trucks? its a 1974 c65. it looks awesome. I want something I can haul a 20,000 lb tractor on a low boy. I have a John Deere 310j with a full cab. right now I use a transport service. I've towed it with my cummins, but it was not fun.

edit: it would get used a couple times a month, not daily.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-c65-truck/6457786003.html

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think it's a great looking truck, and I think you'd really stand out with that rig. In a good way. I'm sure the 366 is adequate for a two ton truck. I've heard varied reviews on the power, but it's a big block so how can you go wrong... There are 427s, too, but I'm not sure if the improvement would warrant even considering a swap. That's the only thing I can think of, though. Others will chime in. By the way, you're in the Sacramento area? I've got family in Elk Grove. I was out there like seven months ago. @Honky Kong jr

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think it's a great looking truck, and I think you'd really stand out with that rig. In a good way. I'm sure the 366 is adequate for a two ton truck. I've heard varied reviews on the power, but it's a big block so how can you go wrong... There are 427s, too, but I'm not sure if the improvement would warrant even considering a swap. That's the only thing I can think of, though. Others will chime in. By the way, you're in the Sacramento area? I've got family in Elk Grove. I was out there like seven months ago. @Honky Kong jr
I grew up in wilton, so I know Elk Grove really well. I might even know your family. we raised quarter horses on katena lane. I have family in wilton and Elk Grove still.

Last edited:

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Your Cummins probably has more power than a 366 gasser
Although the rear axle is a little small

Is this truck going to throw you into needing a CDL ?
DOT numbers , quarterly fuel tax statements ?
Logbooks ? Medical card ?
And all the pain in the ass involved with that ?
Or you have a ag exemptions?

Anyway with an old truck like that I’d figure on another $2k for new brakes and tires to make it safe to drive

If you have an ag exemption I’d look at a larger truck
An old 18 wheeler tractor

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Whew !!! Praise the Lord above. I seen the title and thought, Ohhhh ****, here we go with another Boom Truck !!! Sorry, just had a flashback. Not all of you will get it at all. :happy175: so just ignore my post. @bucket @Old77 @RetroC10Sport Who else remembers ???

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It would be a cool truck to have around if you have a use for it. Buying it just for the cool factor don't always cut it. I too would consider going through all the brakes and check the tires for age and dryrot for certain. Don't expect it to do over 60mph and you might even be good to do that.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I like it personally and it isn't so much money that you would feel bad if it didn't work out. If you are using it for your business there isn't a much better way to get noticed. There's a landscape company in a wealthy resort area near me that uses nothing buy 50's and 60's trucks and they have a lot of them. You instantly know who they are without having to try to read some magnetic sign on a white Ford pickup like everyone else has.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's awesome!

If the gvw is under 26,000 then it should be no CDL required, but if you are hooking a trailer behind it, the laws get much more confusing and CDL may be required.

If it's just for personal use, maybe none of that applies anyway.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
That's awesome!

If the gvw is under 26,000 then it should be no CDL required, but if you are hooking a trailer behind it, the laws get much more confusing and CDL may be required.

If it's just for personal use, maybe none of that applies anyway.

For California, you need a Class A if the trailer GVW is 10K or more.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Maybe if it has a 366..

Looking at the pictures i'm thinkin "there's no way in hell a 366 hits 80 mph lol"(speedometer).

366 vs cummins? A 6 or a 4?
366 is hella venerable, they are found in old school busses, dump trucks and the like. It's a de- stroked something or other - tall 427?
The truck is cool and it pulls DIFFERENT than your little Cummins for sure.
I'd go drive it.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm going to look it over tomorrow. my buddy is the commercial enforcement for a local PD, he does truck inspections all the time. he's going with me tomorrow because I don't know jack about this stuff.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Maybe if it has a 366..

Looking at the pictures i'm thinkin "there's no way in hell a 366 hits 80 mph lol"(speedometer).

366 vs cummins? A 6 or a 4?
366 is hella venerable, they are found in old school busses, dump trucks and the like. It's a de- stroked something or other - tall 427?
The truck is cool and it pulls DIFFERENT than your little Cummins for sure.
I'd go drive it.
Same crank 3.76XX stroke, different bore then the TD 427.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
honestly, if I have to get a class A, the cost just wouldn't make sense. I got the larger tractor to do work around my house, but it gets used commercially time to time. maybe time to trade it for something more practical.

I wasn't aware of what @Craig 85 said about trailer weight. I definitely need to brush up on my vehicle code in regard to towing and GVW. I've towed many trailers, many tons over 5.

when I was 21, my uncle loaded up his high side dump trailer with sod and mud damn near to the brim and told me to take it to the dump. it was a bumper pull not a gooseneck. I towed it with an f350. the front wheels turned into skids when I braked due to the lack of weight over the front end. every stop was a dull, almost silent, low speed skid to the light. when I got to the dump, the guy in the weigh booth looked at me funny. over 27000lbs total with truck, trailer and payload. maybe slightly overweight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg