This rust scares me ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
anyone have this rot through before ?? What's the best way to fix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 199

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have seen it but I don't understand why they do that....
:popcorn:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Winshield gasket leak, or looking closer the drip rail rivets may have led to moisture seeping into the roof. Road salt when not washed off anywhere will lead to metal cancer. You should be able to cut out that section of sheet metal and replace it with a patch panel from a donor cab in better condition. I have heard of people also using rust neutralizer as well during the repair process in order to stop it from spreading.

Last edited:

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
ill probably cut it out and replace that peice. ugh i hate buffalo ny trucks. floor pan, fire wall holes and now this. im sure this can be fixed i just get over whelmed with it

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
anyone have this rot through before ?? What's the best way to fix.

Somebody Bondo'd the joint line there. There is another thread about another truck on here right now where it has the same issue for the same reason!

BONDO SUCKS!

Body filler is supposed to be applied to bare metal. Because Body filler is applied to bare metal it RUSTS !!!

@bucket is supposed to be writing something up about how to properly apply Body Filler and why and what type to use. So keep an eye out for that!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Somebody Bondo'd the joint line there. There is another thread about another truck on here right now where it has the same issue for the same reason!

BONDO SUCKS!

Body filler is supposed to be applied to bare metal. Because Body filler is applied to bare metal it RUSTS !!!

@bucket is supposed to be writing something up about how to properly apply Body Filler and why and what type to use. So keep an eye out for that!

That's funny, because I don't see any filler there. The rust is coming from the backside of the metal... I don't have a clue how someone could have put bondo back there :popcorn:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

BTW, I'm not "supposed" to be doing anything. I may CHOOSE to if I feel it's worth the effort, which right now I'm leaning towards "no". It really doesn't concern me what you think about filler, because you will never be doing bodywork on anything I own.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
BTW, I'm not "supposed" to be doing anything. I may CHOOSE to if I feel it's worth the effort, which right now I'm leaning towards "no". It really doesn't concern me what you think about filler, because you will never be doing bodywork on anything I own.

lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That's funny, because I don't see any filler there. The rust is coming from the backside of the metal... I don't have a clue how someone could have put bondo back there :popcorn:

I don't see a joint line either :)

EDIT: LOL I thought there was supposed to be a joint line there lol just looked at mine again....no joint! lol Its the back side of the cab that has the joint.

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I wonder if it started behind the window gasket and rotted up the inside.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't see a joint line either :)

EDIT: LOL I thought there was supposed to be a joint line there lol just looked at mine again....no joint! lol Its the back side of the cab that has the joint.

I do believe it's a factory brazed seam, a little bit lower than where that rust is. Looks like the roof had already started to rust at some point and it was simply primed/re-painted and now it's back again... but worse.

Also in the other thread, never once did I say it was OK to fill a seam with bondo type fillers. That would fall into the "improper repair" category.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I've seen rust like that form on quite a few different vehicles over the years. It usually starts because some windshield replacement person butchers the paint when they replace the glass and doesn't apply any paint or primer over the scratches. I'd almost bet if you checked that windshield won't have any of the factory glass markings.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I noticed this on my cab. There is a joint there and it appears to be a lap joint. This one looks to have a crack as well. I will be checking to see if it was brazed or welded and making the required repair.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 140

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hmmm...I smell a back country repair shop doing half assed repair work in order to make a quick sale.

I too would suggest that it all stemmed from a bad windshield gasket allowing moisture to seep in. Even high amounts of condensation trapped under the roof could cause that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
builder100